Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker International windlace - does it have the extra width already added?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Studebaker International windlace - does it have the extra width already added?

My research leads me to understand that original Studebaker windlace had a much wider tab on it than the standard off-the-shelf windlace. I just removed my original windlace on my 59 Hawk, and sure enough it had a metal screen sewn into the tab so that the windlace was held in place better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WindlaceTab.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1742271

Since Studebaker International only deals in Studebakers, does their windlace have the extra width already added?

Or if not, is there anyone supplying "ready to go" Studebaker windlace?

You could do what I'am thinking of doing on mine and have it custom built with the extra length added in.

Comment

The needed extra WIDTH has to be added to the mounting strip of the S.I. 801204R "Replacement" Windlace available in 9 Colors for $2.25 a Ft., Southeast Studebaker LLC can modify them or your Local Upholstery Shop should be able to.

The 801668 & 801673 Black or Red "Original Style" woven plastic windlace has a 1 inch woven wire "tab" as original per Pg. 55 of the Catalog.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 01-16-2014, 04:31 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Here's a thread with a couple of posts of how I did mine, at home......with no previous sewing experience (although my better half Michele helped me by showing me how to thread the machine ):
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...t=windlace+tab
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

...great and timely post(s)....I just received my windlace from SI for my '62 wagon.... was taking it to the upholstery shop today..... I like your use of the tabs "through" the material as opposed to crimping down under....

Comment

I have 24' of the green windlace #801204R page 55 which I purchased from Studebaker Int. which I did not use. I will give it to anyone who will pay the shipping - #12.35 priority mail. PM me. WINDLACE IS SPOKEN FOR
            Last edited by 5brown1; 01-18-2014, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
              I have 24' of the green windlace #801204R page 55 which I purchased from Studebaker Int. which I did not use. I will give it to anyone who will pay the shipping - #12.35 priority mail. PM me.
              fantastic offer - If only the green would work for me!

I need taupe or similar ...anyone got any extra that they'd give me a deal on?

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                The needed extra WIDTH has to be added to the mounting strip of the S.I. 801204R "Replacement" Windlace available in 9 Colors for $2.25 a Ft., Southeast Studebaker LLC can modify them or your Local Upholstery Shop should be able to.

The 801668 & 801673 Black or Red "Original Style" woven plastic windlace has a 1 inch woven wire "tab" as original per Pg. 55 of the Catalog.
                Just looking thru search to see if I could get a answer on 53 windlace. The catalogue says red or black "original style" has the long tab. But, it says it's 3/8". Is that the right diameter for the 53. Is it a different material or why is it not listed to fit the 53 coupe ????

Comment

The only reason I can see is that it says the "Woven Plastic" is "Original" for 1960-'66 Studebakers, I don't know if that is the ONLY reason, but earlier Cars were Cloth Covered.

I do not know, but that 3/8" seems awfully small, I would have guessed it is 1/2".
                  I have seen "Universal" Windlace as used in some "Other" makes, advertised that is 5/8" or 3/4" way too fat for a Stude.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                  X