Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'54 Starliner Dome Light - Source, Pics, Info, Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
    I think I have one out of one of my 55's. They are the same. As soon as the temp gets above freezing here I will see. If you don't get one sooner or closer. The location in your initial post is correct, also remembering this light is wired with the ground making it burn. I can get you a picture of C body (same location)
    Thanks, let's hope that you can find it. Please send me a PM when you have a chance to look.

Comment

Here you go, this is StudeDave57's '57 Commander or his Champion 2 Door Sedan Dome light, same on all Models '53 to '57.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0064.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1687254 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0063.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1687255
      Since all Starliner Hardtops are top of the line trim models, I do not see how there could be any not factory equipped with a Dome Light, all I have seen had one including my own '54.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 01-09-2014, 11:47 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by northern View Post
        Thanks, let's hope that you can find it. Please send me a PM when you have a chance to look.
        Just home, from work for the weekend. Try to find dome light tonight or tomorrow

Comment

It's time to tackle the interior lights - the under dash courtesy light and the dome light. I do have a wiring diagram for this, although understanding it might be another matter. The circuit looks a bit complicated.

My immediate question has to do with the dome light. The Starliner has a new headliner, and at first I thought that a previous owner had removed the dome light. Then I noticed a small bulge under the headliner, just behind and above the driver's side door - above where the door window and the rear side window meet. Through the headliner, I can feel what appears to be the base for the dome light, without the outer bezel or lens.

Before I cut into the headliner to replace the wiring to the base, I would like to know whether I can find a replacement bezel (presumably chrome) and a lens. Are these available in the aftermarket, or does anyone know where I can get the correct used parts?

After spending an hour or more looking around the internet, I cannot even find a picture of what the unit should look like. Does anyone here know where I can find such a picture? Or maybe someone has a picture of their dome light that they can share?

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer.
          Ok, get me an address, and I will get you one in the mail Monday, if you still need it. Complete, down to screws. I think the chrome would clean good. If for sho nuff show, might plate. Let me know.

Comment

Thanks, Flashback. PM sent with address.

Comment

Your dome light is on it's way. A Mountie came thru Alabama. Got it in his saddle bag. LOL

Comment

I have a 54 W body it is a 4 door sedan Champion and I believe the "W" is deluxe. It has a dome light, it did not have a dash/map light installed at the factory, there was a blank plug that had to be removed and I installed an era light and switch. My next question is... in the door post between the front and rear doors near the floor there is a recess stamped with screw holes that is consistent with accessory courtesy lights to light the floor area. These stamped lighting sockets are not visible unless the narrow upholstered section between the doors is removed. I would like to know if any 4 door models of that year actually had said courtesy lights?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                  Your dome light is on it's way. A Mountie came thru Alabama. Got it in his saddle bag. LOL
                  I'll be watchin' for him. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                    I have a 54 W body it is a 4 door sedan Champion and I believe the "W" is deluxe./Cut/ My next question is... in the door post between the front and rear doors near the floor there is a recess stamped with screw holes that is consistent with accessory courtesy lights to light the floor area. These stamped lighting sockets are not visible unless the narrow upholstered section between the doors is removed. I would like to know if any 4 door models of that year actually had said courtesy lights?
                    Some had ash trays in the "B" Pillar but no "Courtesy" Lights.

The "W" is the body type, Standard W/B 4 Door Sedan, the number after it tells you if it is a Regal, Deluxe or etc. Trim Level.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-13-2014, 11:59 PM.
                    StudeRich

Comment

courtesy lights?

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Some had ash trays in the "B" Pillar but no "Courtesy" Lights.

The "W" is the body type, Standard W/B 4 Door Sedan, the number after it tells you if it is a Regal, Deluxe or etc. Trim Level.
                      I appreciate your return. I believe it is Deluxe. The stamped out area is at or near floor level and the stamping is similar to a lighting socket housing and is provided with a screw hole top and bottom consistent with mounting a lighting fixture, they are too low for an ash tray. With the upholstery in place in this model they are not visible. Dave

Comment

dome light

It's time to tackle the interior lights - the under dash courtesy light and the dome light. I do have a wiring diagram for this, although understanding it might be another matter. The circuit looks a bit complicated.

My immediate question has to do with the dome light. The Starliner has a new headliner, and at first I thought that a previous owner had removed the dome light. Then I noticed a small bulge under the headliner, just behind and above the driver's side door - above where the door window and the rear side window meet. Through the headliner, I can feel what appears to be the base for the dome light, without the outer bezel or lens.

Before I cut into the headliner to replace the wiring to the base, I would like to know whether I can find a replacement bezel (presumably chrome) and a lens. Are these available in the aftermarket, or does anyone know where I can get the correct used parts?

After spending an hour or more looking around the internet, I cannot even find a picture of what the unit should look like. Does anyone here know where I can find such a picture? Or maybe someone has a picture of their dome light that they can share?

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer.
                        I was just scanning through ebay and there is a 54 stude dome light offered for $10. I accessed it through Springfield Auto Recyclers ebay stores. Dave

Comment

Hello,
                          I'm looking for a photo of the inside with the switch wiring. Thank you in advance.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8324.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1827487

Comment

Originally posted by fred44 View Post
                            Hello,
                            I'm looking for a photo of the inside with the switch wiring. Thank you in advance.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8324.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1827487
                            It probably wont help you much, but here's the complete wiring and both lights out of a 1955 Commander Cp.

Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Dome Light on driver's side just above quarter window on 1954 15G Champion K Starliner with under 50K original miles.

Picture enclosed:

Comment

Post 7 & 8 back in 2014 clarifies the Fact that The Overhead Dome Light in C & K Models was started in 1954, NO '53's had them.

The Arrow shaped Glass Lens design lasted until 1957 when for '58, it was changed to the Rectangular shaped Plastic Lens one, used until the end of Production.
                                StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                                X