Oil Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil Change

I have a 185 ci flathead six. My question is, when I change the oil, do I put in 5 quarts only or do I add an extra quart to allow for the optional Fram Oil Filter?

Put in 5 quarts and then run the engine for a few minutes (while looking for any leaks around the new oil filter and pan plug.) Turn off the engine and let the car set for ten minutes. Pull out the dipstick and add the required amount of additional oil until the dipstick says the crankcase is filled.

Comment

Any Stude. that has the correct full size Oil Filter AND or Oil Filter Element, "SHOULD" take the crankcase size Plus 1 Qt. with Filter which is 6 Qts. for most.

Rarely, a dented Pan or wrong Dipstick Tube or Dipstick or Undersize Filter Element will mess with you, so using post #2 method at least the first time will not hurt, just expect to buy 7, 5 for crankcase, 1 for Filter and 1 for the Trunk to remember what Brand and Viscosity is in it,
      Since Studebakers NEVER burn or leak Oil you should never need it!

If you happen to own a 1951 to 1955 V8 or an R3 Avanti, it will take 7 Qts. with the filter.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 01-03-2014, 12:16 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I like Ginetta's approach. We never want to overfill the crankcase.
        Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Just make sure you have the correct dipstick.
          Lot's of things happen over the years.

I would suggest following the Studebaker Service manual as far as fill quantities go on a specific Studebaker engine model.
          Then, add the appropriate amount for optional equipment (like an aftermarket partial flow oil filter).
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Any Stude. that has the correct full size Oil Filter AND or Oil Filter Element, "SHOULD" take the crankcase size Plus 1 Qt. with Filter which is 6 Qts. for most.

Rarely, a dented Pan or wrong Dipstick Tube or Dipstick or Undersize Filter Element will mess with you, so using post #2 method at least the first time will not hurt, just expect to buy 7, 5 for crankcase, 1 for Filter and 1 for the Trunk to remember what Brand and Viscosity is in it,
            Since Studebakers NEVER burn or leak Oil you should never need it!

If you happen to own a 1951 to 1955 V8 or an R3 Avanti, it will take 7 Qts. with the filter.

I LOVE having My '55 President V8 put into the same league as an Avanti R3 V8!!

Comment

Working...
            X