Door seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Door seal replacement

Gonna tackle the door seals on my '58 Commander 4 door. Do any of you have advice on getting at the front part of the seals that are basically hidden by the leading edge of the doors? It looks like a bear and I really dont want to pull the doors one by one to get at the seals. Thanks Todd

Originally posted by TDC71 View Post
    Gonna tackle the door seals on my '58 Commander 4 door. Do any of you have advice on getting at the front part of the seals that are basically hidden by the leading edge of the doors? It looks like a bear and I really dont want to pull the doors one by one to get at the seals. Thanks Todd
    I don't know how different the '58 is from my '65, but what I did was put masking tape on both the door edge and the body edge of the opening, then with the door closed use a child's paint brush to apply the glue to the channel. The glue is applied to the weatherseal in the usual way. I then carefully threaded the seal down the space with the door open, and used a wooden spoon handle to press the seal in place. The top and bottom part of the seal that is not blocked by the door can be put in place by hand of course. Hope this helps.

Comment

That does help on the install Thank You Wayne. Getting the channel cleaned out is a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by TDC71 View Post
        That does help on the install Thank You Wayne. Getting the channel cleaned out is a pain.
        Try using either contact cement remover or 3M adhesive remover applied with a child's paint brush in the same way as I mentioned above, and fashion a scraper to fit through the door gap. Worked for me.

Comment

Gonna go get some of the 3m adhesive remover. Been using a hack saw blade I ground the teeth off and contoured the end. Works real well. Than I go behind that with a dremel and a real soft stainless wire wheel that fits in the groove perfectly. Cleans out all the adhesive and left over foam without cutting through the paint. Dreading that front channel. Todd

Comment

Wipe the new rubber down with brake clean to remove the white powder. That is mold release. Glue don't like to stick to it.

Comment

Thanks Jim. I'll remember to do that.

Comment

Working...
              X