Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santa brought me a Champ, now I need help with it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Santa brought me a Champ, now I need help with it.

Hi. I am new to this forum and Studebakers. I picked up a '64 Champ over the holiday. Driving it home, the oil light came on. I pulled over and it was a quart low. I picked up some oil and topped it off at the next exit. The light did not go off. I didn't notice any noises and the temperature stayed where it should be so I drove it home. I got home safely and changed the oil and filter. Unfortunately, the light is still on. Any ideas as to why the light came on? Also, the speed of the windshield wipers is terrible. Is there a way to make them faster? My doors don't seal well and there is a slight gap allowing rain to come in. What company makes the best door seals? Thank you for your help.

P.S. Are any of you guys in the Baltimore area?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stevel Knievel; 12-30-2013, 06:52 AM.

Find your oil line connextion at the motor and remove it and install a test gauge. That way you will know for sure what your oil pressure is. If you have a good reading on the test gauge then it's either a gauge problem or if it has a sending unit replace that.

Comment

The sending unit is pressure activated, gets gummed up with dirty oil. The oil light comes on...and stays on.

Comment

Welcome to the Stude world. Studebaker International as well as our other vendors are listed on this site. You should order a repopped Shop Manual, Chassis Parts Catalogue and Body Parts Catalogue. The Studebaker Int'l catalogue is also great to have. Oil pumps and rebuild kits, oil pressure relief valve kits, all the rubber you could need and much more are all available. Post your info from the body tag and lots of people will have suggestions specific to your Champ.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Where is the sending unit located and where can I purchase one?

Comment

If the motor is a V-8 the sender is on the passenger side of the engine block at the back a few inches from the distributor. Actually threads into the rear section of the cylinder head. Has a wire connected to it.

Google " Studebaker International" or Fairborn Studebaker.

Pretty truck!!!
            Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Originally posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
              If the motor is a V-8 the sender is on the passenger side of the engine block at the back a few inches from the distributor. Actually threads into the rear section of the cylinder head. Has a wire connected to it.

Google " Studebaker International" or Fairborn Studebaker.

Pretty truck!!!
              Thank you. I assume this part is not something I can get from Pep Boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevel Knievel View Post
                Thank you. I assume this part is not something I can get from Pep Boys.
                Probably not. Even if they had one that would fit, they would not have a listing for Studebaker oil pressure senders. If you expect to buy Stude parts from a local FLAPS, you might try to move up to NAPA or another old-time, full-service auto parts store. And then ask them to use the paper catalogs on the back shelf, and not the computer.

One other thing: the oil light measures low oil PRESSURE, not oil level. Your crankcase can be full of oil, but you can still have low oil pressure. I hope your sender was just stuck and that your oil pressure was not truly low. You can easily ruin an engine by driving it with low oil pressure.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Steve, I suggest you join SDC if you are not already a member---Then join a local club--Either Keystone Region Chapter or the Potomac Chapter---Both have members in your area. Also may I suggest you consider coming to the Studebaker York Swap Meet on March 6,7,8 at the York Expo Center in York Pa. Check the Keystone website at www.sdckeystoneregion.com If you are interested in the meet or in Keystone membership, you may PM me or email me directly at larkregal62@aol.com Congratulations on your acquisition--looks like a great truck Gordon
                  Last edited by larkregal62; 12-30-2013, 10:35 AM. Reason: additions

Comment

Originally posted by larkregal62 View Post
                    Steve, I suggest you join SDC if you are not already a member---Then join a local club--Either Keystone Region Chapter or the Potomac Chapter---Both have members in your area. Also may I suggest you consider coming to the Studebaker York Swap Meet on March 6,7,8 at the York Expo Center in York Pa. Check the Keystone website at www.sdckeystoneregion.com If you are interested in the meet or in Keystone membership, you may PM me or email me directly at larkregal62@aol.com Congratulations on your acquisition--looks like a great truck Gordon
                    Thank you. I am interested joining the club(s) and the swap meet.

Comment

Here ya go Steve- keep this interchange in your favorites:
                      http://www.studebaker-info.org/parts...nterchange.pdf

This list shows a Standard (brand) # PS 15X or an Echlin UP-6613 for your oil pressure sender. Check around your FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store). I'd start at NAPA. The local one here is good on this kind of stuff & knows Studebaker isn't a foreign car! Welcome!!
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Santa brought you a Champ? Well next year try being nicer!

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                          Santa brought you a Champ? Well next year try being nicer!

The Easter Bunny brought mine.

I picked up my Champ on Easter Sunday 2012. I hope you have as much fun with your truck as I have with mine.
                          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by larkregal62 View Post
                            Hi Steve,
                            Gordon has given you good advice. While we're not quite to on-line joining, the Potomac Chapter does have a membership application on line at our excellent website. Just click http://www.potomacsdc.org/ and look at the left side of the page. The Potomac Chapter Membership Director sold a very nice '64 Champ a few years ago- could be the same one.
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thank you for the info on the Potomac chapter. I am printing out the national club app and filling it out today.

On a side note, I put an oil pressure gauge on the engine block yesterday and my reading was about 45 PSI warmed up. It sounds like my sending unit is bad. Is there anything else I should look for? I ordered a new unit already. Thanks, guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X