Die cast trim and emblems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Die cast trim and emblems

Hope someone can help me to understand the Studebaker markings used for body trim parts.

I have acquired a mixed lot of old (mostly unused) parts that I'm trying to identify. Some I know as Studebaker and I have some others which I think are also Studebaker, but not sure. I believe all are from late 30's to mid 50's or so. One thing that I noticed on the Studebaker parts which I recognized is a casting logo that looks like "S" and "M" inside a pair of large "C"s. Does anyone know what this stands for (a manufacturer or some other source code?) and if it always means a Studebaker application? Did all Studebaker die cast parts of this era have this logo?

There often is a 4 digit number on the cast parts and I would also be interested if this can be used to help identify parts.

Here is an example with the logo (on the right side) that I mentioned. It looks to me like the part could be a hood or grill edge molding of some sort.

I know this may not be of interest to many on the forum , but please feel free so send a PM if you wish with anything that may help to educate me in "Studebaker". Thanks, Tom

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01697.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1742125Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01698.jpg
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	1742126

Those are casting numbers & the insignias are of the vendor who made them for the manufacturer. They would have relevance to identify the part so it could be tagged with the correct part number but those numbers were not usually available to the public.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Try to contact a local Chapter and see if a member can identify the parts.

Comment

Actual Ford part or ID engineering numbers marked on diecast parts, GM and Packard part numbers will also be found on diecast.

Ford numbers are the easiest to decipher as they have a prefix, basic number and sometimes a suffix.

Yesterday, I identified a hood ornament on FTE (ford-trucks.com) that someone had installed on a 1965 F100 as from a 1964 Galaxie.

Cast ID number on part was C4AB-16853-A which translates to Ford part number C4AZ-16850-A

First three digits of prefix: C = decade 1960's, 4 = 1964, A = full sized Ford. 16800 group related to hood parts.
        Last edited by WinM1895; 12-30-2013, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I'd still like to find out which casting supplier used the insignia with the SM inside concentric C's and particularly if the supplier has any particular affiliation to Studebaker.

WinM1895 - I agree that Ford parts are generally easier to place (although most of mine are from before the decade prefix was used). All the more challenging to find a good home for parts fitting the Studebaker and others.

Comment

Prefix was used beginning with the Model T. It will be two digits beginning with 1932 V8 (18-). Three digits used 1938/48, then two digits thru the 1950's.
            Last edited by WinM1895; 12-30-2013, 11:30 PM.

Comment

OK, back to Studebaker. You will need these Parts identified by a knowledgeable Studebaker person that can be found at Area SDC Zone Meets, Local Club Chapter Meetings, Annual SDC International Meets etc. And as Doug said in Post #3 by Local SDC Members.

Better Photos may help on some without the Angle shots that distort the shape.
              As has been mentioned the markings will be of little to no help as many, but not all Studebaker Trim castings were from SM, some Roth and others.

That is not to say that you could not have some Chrysler Corp. Product Parts or: Packard, Nash, Hudson, AMC, Kaiser/Frazer, Willys or International from the same Supplier. No chance of them being Ford or GM as they tend to own their own Mfg. Plants.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                OK, back to Studebaker. No chance of them being Ford or GM as they tend to own their own Mfg. Plants.
                Nonsense. I know for a fact, because I was in their plants, Dohler-Jarvis manufactured all GM die cast parts from the fifties until at least until
                the late seventies.

Since D-J was the largest die casting manufacturer in the USA, it is possible, even likely that they did Stude parts.
                Last edited by jnormanh; 01-01-2014, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Headlights View Post
                  Thanks for the tips. I'd still like to find out which casting supplier used the insignia with the SM inside concentric C's and particularly if the supplier has any particular affiliation to Studebaker.

WinM1895 - I agree that Ford parts are generally easier to place (although most of mine are from before the decade prefix was used). All the more challenging to find a good home for parts fitting the Studebaker and others.
                  SM means "service mark" , meaning that a trademark has been applied for. It does not identify the manufacturer.

Comment

Thanks for helping with the SM meaning. I guess it was just a coincidence that many of the parts I identified as Studebaker carried the SM mark.

I know a photo can be hard to work with, but this one may be an easier part to identify.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01686.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1687170Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01687.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1687171Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01691.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1687172Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01692.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1687174Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01693.jpg
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1687175Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01694.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1687176Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01695.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1687173
                    Does it look like a Studebaker taillight rim? There is a 4 digit number starting with a 5 like I see on some of the other Studebaker parts (in this case the number is 5257) but no other markings.

Appreciate any insight. Tom

Comment

If those are taillight Rims they would have to be pretty old pre-war stuff. With that angle on the Reflector hole, for it to be headlight level the Tail Light Lens would be almost on top of a fender.

It looks more like one of those '70' or '80's Cadillac or Lincoln Dome Light Rims with the swivel spot light for Maps.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts. The taillight rim is definitely pre-1950 and likely pre WWII. I do know one of the trunk handle pieces in the lot I have is for Studebaker about 1940 and think this may be around the same era.

If not Studebaker, I will try searching for other makes, but most of the parts I acquired were GM with some Ford, Studebaker and Hudson mixed in. I'm quite sure it is not GM or Ford. Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Headlights View Post
                          Thanks for helping with the SM meaning. I guess it was just a coincidence that many of the parts I identified as Studebaker carried the SM mark.

I know a photo can be hard to work with, but this one may be an easier part to identify.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]31077[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31078[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31079[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31081[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31082[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31083[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31080[/ATTACH]
                          Does it look like a Studebaker taillight rim? There is a 4 digit number starting with a 5 like I see on some of the other Studebaker parts (in this case the number is 5257) but no other markings.

Appreciate any insight. Tom
                          These are 1939 Studebaker tail light bezels. Post more pictures, or drop them in an email to me and I'll see if I can help you identify the parts. bomarkham@embarqmail.com
                          Last edited by Bo Markham; 01-02-2014, 06:38 AM.
                          Bo

Comment

Working...
                          X