• Show
Clear All

• willbhere4u
    replied
    I will check that out

Leave a comment:

• brian6373
    replied
    I had similar problems with my OD when I first got the car. Turned out the cable housing was broken and the clamp was not attached.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    I am pretty sure you will get the free-wheeling effect of the sprag clutch even if the control lever is not right back against its stop. What won't happen in that case is actual engagement of the overdrive, because a shoulder on the shift rail, driven by that lever, blocks movement of the pawl by the solenoid. So if you are not getting free-wheeling, and a fluid flush did not help, it's tear-down time.

Leave a comment:

• willbhere4u
    replied
    The shifter works perfect if the over drive lever is pulled out. I can drive it around the bock and it never misses a beat it just pops out of second gear every once and awhile while decelerating in gear. The car is surprisingly fast for what it is my 57 Packard clipper with the supercharged 289 and 3spd auto felt about the same of course it started out in second gear.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    You know, when I read this:

QUOTE: "I was playing around with it in my driveway yesterday and with the handle pushed in the car will drive in reverse but when I put it in first gear it tried to move forward about 1-2 feet then went in to neutral like a clutch started slipping and made a soft grinning noise that could started and stopped with the clutch pedal. It feels like its not locking in so I will mess with it some more on another warm weekend. the clutch was rebuilt by a shop in town not long ago and works great other wise with the OD off or handle pulled out." UNQUOTE

I am thinking that this condition may not be related to Overdrive at all, is it possible that you just need to align the Trans. Shift Levers in NEUTRAL with the Shifting Linkage also in Neutral, and check the Lever to Rod Grommets for slop?

The same person that screwed up the Clutch job, had to have installed the Trans. also!

Also, did we forget to warn you to always Park the Car in REVERSE? That way you never have worry about whether or not the Trans. is in Direct, so the Car will not roll away in freewheeling.

I never depend on the sometimes out of adjustment, non-operative or not used, Parking Brake to work.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-31-2013, 12:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• willbhere4u
    replied
    I understand the concept of freewheeling on deceleration but I have no acceleration either. I will check the lever and see if it hits the stop. The more I move the lever in an out the more it tries to work like a gummy linkage moving a little more each time. I bet it needs some lube. I'm was just worried that something was striped out internally but Evan with the OD in the off position the power is being transferred through the unit and when the lever is on the power should also be transferred through the unit even with out the overdrive engaged.

I would be happy if the car would drive with the OD lever in the in or on position. Even if the OD its self did not work. then I could start diagnosing the electrical part of the unit and fix it.

Leave a comment:

• tbredehoft
    replied
    I want to go back to post 4, the lever must be back agains the stop for OD to work. If the cable is stiff, it's very possible it isn't all the way back which could result in not a complete shift out of direct drive.

Another thought, when the lever is pushed in, OD is only available, it is not engaged unless the car is going over the 30 (or so ) mpg lower limit and has been engaged by releasing the gas pedal. Below that speed, the transmission is 'free wheeling', it engages with engine speed, but when you let off the gas, the transmission will coast, not brake the car.

If you're not familiar with this it can be spooky.

Leave a comment:

• willbhere4u
    replied
    I was playing around with it in my driveway yesterday and with the handle pushed in the car will drive in reverse but when I put it in first gear it tried to move forward about 1-2 feet then went in to neutral like a clutch started slipping and made a soft grinning noise that could started and stopped with the clutch pedal. It feels like its not locking in so I will mess with it some more on another warm weekend. the clutch was rebuilt by a shop in town not long ago and works great other wise with the OD off or handle pulled out

1. I did fix the brake lights and got new tail light lenses.

2. adjusted the clutch pedal linkage at the pedal back to normal some one had screwed out the fork where it attaches to the clutch pedal to make the clutch released near the top of the pedal very strange. I turned it back down to where they left the jamb nut on the shaft and it releases in the middle now. They only had like 3 threads holding it on and the clutch pedal pin was missing the cotter pin and about to fall off.

3. I also fixed the column shifter they had a lag bolt through the pivot for the shifter arm. I went to ACE hardware and found a near perfect pin bolt I had to redrill the housing a couple thou bigger for the new pin but that fixed the damage from the lag bolt. and the shifter is like new.
    Last edited by willbhere4u; 12-30-2013, 07:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    It does sound like there may some internal issues with it, but it will be good to proceed as planned, check the shift lever, change Oil etc. If that fails to improve anything, then follow the Troubleshooting Procedure in the Studebaker Shop Manual.

BUT, you need to understand when driving it in the future, DO NOT try that shift on the fly trick unless you know what you are doing. The normal procedure for most driving is to place the Handle/Lever IN or OUT of O.D. before starting to drive the Car.

Shifting out of Overdrive Manually with the Handle while moving over 30 MPH, will produce a "Grind" and can damage the Unit.

When you CAN move the O.D. Handle while moving;

Just before descending down the backside of a hill steep enough to require flooring the Gas Pedal to downshift to Direct to get up the hill, requires for safety, that just before you reach the top while in Direct Gear, you Pull the handle OUT locking the Trans. in Direct 3rd. Gear to Safely descend the hill with adequate deceleration to stop if needed without fading the Brakes out.

Leave a comment:

• willbhere4u
    replied
    Thanks for the advice I will get started working on it I would like to change the fluid any ways its been sitting many years and the lever is still pretty stiff so i get under and mess with it to see if it is moving correctly

first time I tried it was in my driveway pushed the lever in put it in first gear and nothing tried 2nd and 3rd and nothing just revving like i was in neutral. I pulled the lever back out and it drove like normal I was going about 50 mph in 2nd gear when I tried to push the overdrive lever in again and neutral again no gears at all so i pulled the lever out and nothing then i jiggled the lever a couple time tried 2nd then 3rd and still neutrals then I heard a very very light grinding noise when I had the clutch in for a few seconds then it drove again like normal
    Last edited by willbhere4u; 12-29-2013, 08:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    As always, gord has good suggestions.

One thing you might try is a flush and fill. Jack up the rear wheel on stands. Drain both the transmission and overdrive. Fill both with diesel fuel. Start the engine, shift the transmission through the gears, letting off and accelerating gently. After a few minutes of this, stop the engine, drain the diesel fuel and refill with gear oil.

While the car is on the stands, start it again, run up to 30 MPH in third gear and confirm the governor is connecting to ground and the solenoid is engaging overdrive.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    Sounds like the sprag clutch has failed, possibly due to lack of lubrication, or very gummy lubricant. What road speed were you doing when you pushed the OD control handle in? Normally, the cut-in speed is between 25 and 30 mph. If you were doing less than 25, the OD would not have cut in, even if it were able to. Even with a failed sprag (alone), the OD ought to engage if the handle were to be pushed in while moving over 30 mph.

Probably the transmission will have to come out, but before you do that, make sure that it is filled with clean gear oil, in both the main housing and the OD housing. 90 weight GL-1 gear lube is recommended, NOT oil with an EP rating! Or 50 weight motor oil is acceptable, too. If the problem is lack of lube, or gummy lube, it just might come good with fresh oil in there, and costs very little to try.

Leave a comment:

• 1961 lark 3spd over drive questions

I just bought a 1961 Studebaker Lark 259 v8 3spd on the tree with overdrive the lever on the dash was frozen in the out position after some careful lubing of the cable I got it to push in. But when I push it in the transmission goes in to neutral no gears forward or back. I drove down the road and tried it again and again neutral no forward gears after pulling it back out it was still in neutral but eventually it locked back in to gear and I made it home. is my overdrive striped out? or could some linkage be binding up?
Working...
X