X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Type of oil and oil filter

I have a 1950 Champion that does
    Last edited by joenj; 03-05-2014, 09:27 AM. Reason: TYPO

Can't go wrong with Valvoline VR-1, been using it in my Hawk for years. Perfect amount of ZDDP.
    sigpic
    1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

No, it is a detergent oil. What has been used up to now?? What is mileage?? How much and when is the car used??

Comment

Originally posted by joenj
        Is VR-1 non-detergent?
        no, it isn't. if you don't know what type of oil was used prior, i suggest using 30W non-detergent. if a detergent oil is newly used, it can distribute all the sludge built up (especially in the oil pan), throughout the engine causing major problems. i'd do a thorough cleaning of crud and a "motor flush" before going to detergent oil.

ZDDP is available thru many of our Studebaker vendors, plus Eastwood and others. around $10 for 4 bottles - for 4 oil changes.

re: the oil filter - both my '40 and now the '51, do not have a filter. i was recommended by the P.O. of the '40 to change the oil every 1,500 miles. many folks go up to 3,000 miles. if i don't put on the mileage, i still change the oil at least twice a year. i may be a little over-cautious on that, but oil is the life blood of the engine and would rather to it a little too often than not enough!

hope this helps...
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Here is a copy of a "tech column" I sent out a while back. This is a good product & if you have questions, contact Blaine using the link on the bottom:
          MOTOR OIL FOR STUDEBAKERS

CEN-PE-CO
          S3 Engine oil
          API, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4
          CF, CE, CD, SH, SG, SF

SAE 10W-30 Paraffin base

Walcott, IA
          http://www.cen-pe-co.com/

Anti-Wear Additives have traditionally contained phosphorus, which may contribute to catalytic converter deposits. This additive group has proven to be highly effected over the past 40 years, so the auto manufacturers have not banned it, but limited its use (0.08%). Cen-Pe-Co Super Racing Oil does not meet new car requirements because it has too much anti-wear additive, but it provides super performance for racing engines.

This oil is available for purchase at their plant in Walcott, at 201 E. Lincoln Street. They have been in the petroleum business since 1911 and know what our engines need. They ship daily all over the world.

Technical Support: blaine@cenpeco.com

Comment

I don't recommend the use of a non detergent oil in your engine as it has little or no additives in it and doesn't protect the engine's internal parts from wear and deposits. A good detergent oil won't loosen big chunks of crud inside the engine that could potentially plug the oil screen or an oil passage that could cause an engine failure. I've been using either SAE 15W-40 Chevron Delo 400 or Shell Rotella T oil for 30+ years in all of the Studebaker engines I maintain with very good results and it is available at a good price. I also like to use an oil filter on the older engines as I feel that even partial flow filter will catch a bunch of junk that ends up in the oil. I know that Studebaker installed partial flow filters on many engines either at the factory or at the dealer as an option. Bud

Comment

The heavy duty engine oils such as Rotella T or Delo 400 have plenty of additives to protect the cam and lifters in Studebaker engines and for that matter most other flat tappet cam engines as well, use it with confidence. Bud

Comment

Your car has gone 63 years without a filter, as many cars built in that era did. Why put a filter on it now?
                I would use a modern oil that has a much better additive package than oils of decades ago and change the oil every 1000-3000 miles or once per year, whichever comes first. The 1000 to 3000 depends on the use of the car and the appearance of the oil.
                Of course, owner's manuals of that period state that you should clean the oil pan once per year. (Who does, or did, that?)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by joenj
                  Gary, If oil filters did not help, they would not put them on cars today. I think a car 63 years old needs them more than a one year old car.
                  I did not say that oil filters are not a good thing. I just do not see the point in adding one to a car that old that will probably be receiving very limited use and above average care.
                  Also, many people now go as much as 8K miles (or more) on a change, not the 1-3K that I mentioned.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

i'd like to clarify my earlier post. i don't have a problem adding a oil filter to an engine that previously did not have one.

re: non-detergent vs. detergent oil - not knowing what was in the engine before, i'd still be wary of putting in detergent oil, unless the oil pan was cleaned of sludge and a "motor flush" performed. there's been quite a difference in opinions on this thru the years, as well as ZDDP. check the "search" function.

BTW: my '51 came with a couple of bottles of detergent 30W oil from the P.O. and i use the same (with ZDDP added separately). and i will probably be in the market for the oil filter, etc. if i keep the same engine in her. it needs valve seals/guides - probably more.

i was planning to check with our vendors: http://www.studebakervendors.com/

or put a wanted ad on the "swap page": http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php

or a wanted ad in "Turning Wheels"...

good luck!!!
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Doing a flush on an engine that has an unknown maintenance history is asking for problems as some of the so called engine flushes can loosen enough debris to clog something. The correct way to remove sludge and other rubbish would be to remove the oil pan and scrape it out. As far as a zinc additive, I'm wary of them too as adding an unknown amount of zinc and phosphorus can upset the additive formulation added at the refinery when the oil was produced. Too much zinc in the oil can cause increased wear as zinc can be abrasive at elevated levels. Use an oil that has a decent level of zinc and phosphorus and forget the additives. Bud

Comment

I added a filter to my 47 Champion years ago when I first got it. At that time I just went to a junk yard and got one. It was not hard to install and I do believe it is a good thing to have them on the car even if it is just for peace of mind.
                        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                        1961 Hawk 4-speed
                        1967 Avanti
                        1961 Lark 2 door
                        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

My '59 Lark VI doesn't have an oil filter. All I do is change the oil every autumn and use Valvoline VR-1 oil to get the necessary ZDDP. It's been working well.
                          I would have to disagree with using non-detergent oil. I can't think of anyone who recommends it Detergent is the way to go. It won't dislodge anything quickly.

Rog
                          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

You should be able to find an original style bypass filter for your car. I'm surprised no one has offered one up to you yet. Can also find on eBay. The important thing will be having the correct size orifice fitting! Very important. Also learn about the oil pressure relief valve and it's proper cleaning and maintenance.
                            You can advertize your Want on studebaker swap.com if nothing turns up as a result of this thread.
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                            X