53 hubcaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: 53 hubcaps

I am going to change out the front and rear suspension for my 1953 hardtop. Talking with Art Morrison about the front end design.

A question. Has any one found a wheel with a 5x 4-3/4 lug pattern which will work with the original full sized hub caps from 53? I think I'd prefer after market for width options but I'll take any leads.

Many thanks.

I haven't had any problem with them staying on any steel wheels. I had a set on a trailor. Might wanna weld on some stops to stop "wheel cover" from moving. O by the way. If you don't want to get scolded buy some of these old farts. Call the big ones wheel covers and the little one hubcaps. LOL

Comment

Thanks Flashback. I love semantics! They are going to skewer me for more than just hubcaps v wheel covers. LOL. All good when we get to drive our Studes around and be proud of them.

Comment

I've got a set of 2004 Ranger wheels on my '55, I can't find any wheel covers that will stay on. (haven't tried the welded move stoppers, thought). I'm contemplating three screws in the OD of the wheel cover, tapped into the wheel.

Comment

I bought a set of steel wheels from Summit (same ones Dave T. sells) and the full size wheel covers fit very snug, although I have not driven it yet with the new wheels.

Comment

Wheels vary in thickness of the steel. crimp on wheel covers are particular about that and if too tight or too loose they will come off.
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by Pancho View Post
              I am going to change out the front and rear suspension for my 1953 hardtop. Talking with Art Morrison about the front end design.

A question. Has any one found a wheel with a 5x 4-3/4 lug pattern which will work with the original full sized hub caps from 53? I think I'd prefer after market for width options but I'll take any leads.

Many thanks.
              Hey Pancho,
              I've been using Crown Vic wheels on my car. I've used a couple different style wheel covers through the years without any problems. I would think any GM OEM steel rim would do the same. They all have the 4-3/4 pattern, don't they?
              Anyway, good luck.
              BTW, any pix of what you're building?? And what power plant is going to be hiding under the hood??
              sals54

Comment

Thanks guys. Sal I will certainly do a build thread. It's been a year since I bought the car. I've been through several "builds" in my mind. Now I have my goal, I need to put it down on paper and finalize how to get there. It all begins with the tires and rims. I'd like for the wheel covers to stay on. Maybe have to weld an additional bead along the edge which retains the cover.

Comment

Pancho, I think some here have had trouble with the wheel covers moving or coming off, but I don't know if any of those have been on the later style OEM wheels. I think the original Stude rims are smaller gage than the Crown Vic style. The Stude rims would therefore have more flex in them. Couple that with the radial tires many use today, perhaps the Stude wheels are moving a bit more than the heavy, later rims. Thats just me thinkin out loud.
                  sals54

Comment

Hey Sal. Are the Crown Vic rims 4-1/2 centers? I don't know about flexing rims. Interesting thought.

Comment

I have Mercury rims on my '53 & I had to glue the wheelcovers on with GOOP Marine glue... Four dabs hold em on. Without the glue, they will come off going down my lane (or to judging!) The Avanti covers stay fine on the Chrysler rims I have on it.

Comment

Any body think of tweaking the tabs a bit around the circumpherence of the wheelcovers? It will make for a tighter fit. cheers jimmijim
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

53 and 54 Buick and Olds wheels fit I used them on my 53 pickup. I don't know about fitting wheel covers. Dave

Comment

I tried tweaking the tabs on the '53 covers... I can hardly get them on... but they sure come off easy, I think the rims have a slight taper. If Tri-Star covers weren't soo hard to get... I may have drilled three holes in them and screwed them to the rims~!

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                              ... I would think any GM OEM steel rim would do the same. They all have the 4-3/4 pattern, don't they...
                              Nope, don't think so... I think you will find that 'most' GM cars are not 5X4.75". Chevy and Pontiac used to mostly be that, but all the larger GM cars were 5X5". Then, metric came along, and about the only GM car left with 5X4.75" is the Corvette. Most Ford cars were 5X4.5", prior to metric, but all that has changed now...

Originally posted by altair View Post
                              53 and 54 Buick and Olds wheels fit I used them on my 53 pickup. I don't know about fitting wheel covers. Dave
                              Pretty sure that the Stude pickup and car did not use the same bolt pattern. Stock '53 Stude car would be 5X4.5", whereas stock '53 Stude pickup would be 5X5" (I think). Those '53-'54 BOP wheels would be 5X5", so would only fit the pickup. Someone with more pickup knowledge can set us straight if I am wrong... But, Poncho asked about 5X4.75", which matches neither of those.

I've got Crown Vic alloy wheels on my '63 Avanti, 5X4.5" bolt pattern. They are wider, plus have a small backset, which gives the car a wider stance. Not optimum for alignment/suspension/wheel bearing life, but seems to work out OK and I like the look.

If you do a little 'Google'ing on this, there are lots of charts out there listing wheel sizes for various cars.

As for those tricky (expensive) wheel covers not staying on, (and especially the tri-stars), the adhesive seems like a good solution that I've never tired, but will in the future. I've never had good luck bending the tabs, that doesn't seem to help. Thanks for the idea!
                              Corley

Comment

Working...
                              X