1951 Steering Column Manual VS. Automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: 1951 Steering Column Manual VS. Automatic

Hello, I have an odd question concerning the steering column assembly use in the 1951 models. More specifically, I have a 1951 Land Cruiser that has the automatic transmission in it. I recently came upon a 1951 4-door champion that happens to have the rare OEM turn signal control assembly that mounted directly into the steering column.

The question:

Aside from the obvious (Gear Selector indicator for the automatic) what is the difference between the column for a manual shift and one for an automatic in terms of diameter? In other words, will a OEM turn signal control work on an automatic steering column that was originally on a manual steering column. It almost looks like it would, but I wanted to see if anyone knew for sure.

Thank you,

Brian
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

51 on should work. 50 and before they were different between the Commanders, and champions

Edit: I should say 51 and 52 should work.....53 on all went to the smaller yet column that looks like all of them till the end. Of course there is a steering wheel and column shaft size change in 57 that makes the upper bearing and housing different. And there were several different types of turn signal switches later on too.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 12-26-2013, 02:59 PM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

There should be 2 phillips screws that hold the turn signal housing on the column. BUT! Look inside the column, I'm pretty sure there is a wire ring on the steering shaft that will cancel the signals. I have the signals on my 52, but they do not cancel buy themselves.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
      X