Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'51 and '52 vague steering. join in as I sort it outů.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well...I just logged on and saw you had posted the above. That steering gear is a totally different animal than the Ross (I think) that is in my '48. Look forward to seeing your progress. Keep up the good work.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The shims are on the Ross boxes. The sector shaft bushing should be recessed enough to have room for the shaft seal. I have a complete column and box out of a 50 Commander, that works smoothly. (if you can't source parts locally).
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        Well...I just logged on and saw you had posted the above. That steering gear is a totally different animal than the Ross (I think) that is in my '48. Look forward to seeing your progress. Keep up the good work.
        I think you are familiar with the Ross boxes, this one is a Saginaw. About a 10 times better Gear!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

StudeRich, Is their anything to the fact that the 51 steering assy. is so to speak a bred of it,s own, parts will not interchange with the 50s down or the52s & up, just curious,have heard this talked about. Thanks Mac.

Comment

Are you working from a 1951 shop manual? Information on the Saginaw steering wasn't in the original version, but was sent to dealers later. Do you have that section in your book?
            D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

Hi guys,

Annoyingly I only have a '50 workshop manual which I know is incorrect for a '51. So I have been googling all the info I need.

I have purchased a '51 book and that should be with me shortly.

I was 99% sure I had a Saginaw box, just wanted someone to say so which you guys now have done cheers.

Next job is to get the steering wheel off, I will purchase a bearing puller and use that with the gear puller.

I'm going to tackle the kingpins on Xmas day, any advice?

Comment

I now have the '51 manual, not much use really as there are no exploded diagrams...

Anyhow I'm trying to order parts for the steering box and still don't know whether it's a TA or TL box, it's Saginaw so thats...??.......

Cheers,

Comment

Found it!

I'm sure it's called a type 'S' for Saginaw!

Comment

Back from Holiday now. just had the pitman shaft machined and a new bush installed.

I had a thought, as the steering gear is a ratio of 20-1 any play in the steering box magnifies this problem 20 fold at the wheels, where as 1/16" of play in a control arm shaft would be just that at the wheels. Is my thinking correct??

Anyhow, new outer upper control arm pins were needed. I'm just waiting for the steering shaft bearing and a couple of other small things and the steering box can go back together.
                    Any idea on where to get a new horn wire or small I make my own?

Comment

Hi guys, new bushings installed, new bearing, seals and gaskets. Job's a good'n

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X