Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

63 champ floor boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: 63 champ floor boards

I am replacing the floor pans in my truck and am having some problems that I am hoping someone on here can help me with. I got the new pans from classic and they are really nice. My issue is that the pan does not sit on the rockers all the way from front to back(inside of rocker). It is flush at the back and is about an inch from the rocker at the front. Also, the cab is resting on the frame on the passenger side( I am doing the pans with the cab on the frame) Now this truck was shipped from CA to NC with the floor boards rusted out with no support (did not know that they were shot). The doors shut fine and the cab is almost perfectly level as it sits. If I jack the passenger side up to get some clearance from the frame, the cab is now not level. (there is about an 1/2 inch of clearance on the drivers side as she just sits)

Does this make sense? I have done pans before (65 mustang) but with the frame to body mount being a part of the puzzle, and with everything seeming to be tilted I am stuck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

It has been awhile since I put floors in my Champ but this is what I remember. I loosened the steering column and leveled the cab by placing equal sized wood blocks between the frame and the car cowl mounts. Then I welded in the floor boards along with the outer rocker panels that my truck needed. It was the loosening of the steering column that made it work for me. The cab wouldn't move until I did that. My truck also had the front clip removed when I was doing the work and that maybe helpful in getting things aligned.

Ken

Comment

Some pics of the problem would be nice. I have pics of the area.But have so many that unless I knew exactly where, the forum here would be all over me with the pic. flood.

Comment

Champ cabs mount in only 4 places, the rear of the cab has 2 mounts almost side by side & the 2 others located just inboard of the "A" pillar base. These are the culprits. As Ken suggested suspend the front of the cab by the 2 unused car mounts with blocks of wood to the frame making sure your door alignments stay good. On the original inboard mounts you should have a round bracket on each side that the bolt goes through. This bracket when it was made had rubber cushions of varying thicknesses for alignment of the cab. It is welded onto the bottom of the floor pan. I suggest in addition to making permanent brackets from the frame to the car cowl braces is in addition, make a bracket going from the inboard mount to the "A" pillar to strengthen that point otherwise only the floor pan holds that alignment. When you have it all together & buttoned up I apply a coat of primer & then use truck bed liner material to keep it water resistant. It is better than just undercoating & stands up to moisture great.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
          Champ cabs mount in only 4 places, the rear of the cab has 2 mounts almost side by side & the 2 others located just inboard of the "A" pillar base. These are the culprits. As Ken suggested suspend the front of the cab by the 2 unused car mounts with blocks of wood to the frame making sure your door alignments stay good. On the original inboard mounts you should have a round bracket on each side that the bolt goes through. This bracket when it was made had rubber cushions of varying thicknesses for alignment of the cab. It is welded onto the bottom of the floor pan. I suggest in addition to making permanent brackets from the frame to the car cowl braces is in addition, make a bracket going from the inboard mount to the "A" pillar to strengthen that point otherwise only the floor pan holds that alignment. When you have it all together & buttoned up I apply a coat of primer & then use truck bed liner material to keep it water resistant. It is better than just undercoating & stands up to moisture great.
          Dead on !!!
          On my Champ, I picked up a pair of rubber rear axle bumps with an imbedded bolt.... lifted the cab enough to put the Bolt through the firewall brackets and let it set on the frame. I used the Pan welded mounts for lateral instead of vertical alignment. Don't rely on the frame mounts to hold the cab up!

Comment

I am going to try and load some pictures tonight when I get home but can you tell me exactly where the car mounts are?

Thanks for all of the input!!

Comment

The car mounts are on the bottom of the brackets that are spot welded to the engine side of the firewall. They retain 3 bolts each that hold the inner apron of the front fenders. You will notice the bracket at the bottom has a hole that is not used for anything on a Champ. That portion in Lark types has a bolt going down through the frame to a washer & nut on the bottom holding that area. It is helpful to use this portion to support the cab & it also assists in keeping the doors aligned properly.
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

On my '63 Champ, the car mounts were rather crudely cut off. On the driver's side, it appears that between the suspended pedal set up and the change in steering gear, there was interference, so I understand why that side was cut off. On the passenger side, I don't know, and I am surprised how crude the cut is. I have a pair of brackets available for anyone that still has their car mounts intact.

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                The car mounts are on the bottom of the brackets that are spot welded to the engine side of the firewall. They retain 3 bolts each that hold the inner apron of the front fenders. You will notice the bracket at the bottom has a hole that is not used for anything on a Champ. That portion in Lark types has a bolt going down through the frame to a washer & nut on the bottom holding that area. It is helpful to use this portion to support the cab & it also assists in keeping the doors aligned properly.
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

Classic Enterprises also sells these floor mount reinforcements(their name for them) for 5 bucks each. I bought some to modify for my 64 and 65 lark types.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                    Some pics of the problem would be nice. I have pics of the area.But have so many that unless I knew exactly where, the forum here would be all over me with the pic. flood.
                    I would love to see the pics you have, I have a Champ as well that Im restoring and love seeing what others have done.
                    1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Here is my solution to cab sag and a cab design that relies on a pad in the middle of a rusty floor board to hold up and keep the cab square. It is a cheap rear axle bump from Advance Auto. This way I gained support without having to drill the frame and let new pads on the floor board provide lateral stability.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02989.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1686746Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03188.jpg
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1686747

Comment

Sorry to be late posting but work has been a bear.. I checked for the Lark mounts and mine have been cut off. I have taken some pictures of the rocker area and have just set up my photobucket account so hopefully I will have pics to post soon.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Comment

The February '14 issue of Hot Rod has a couple step-by-step pages on floor pan replacement with photos.
                          Last edited by Dwain G.; 12-07-2013, 09:54 AM. Reason: oops! corrected date

Comment

I have the remains of a 65 Cruiser that I parted out years ago that has a good floor pan on the left side which is the side my Champ has the worst rust. I'm going to cut it out & splice it onto the Champ so this article will make interesting reading. I also have in mind making a brace going on top of the floor & angling it to the A pillar to strengthen that area on both sides. I believe 1/8" plate would do it fine, maybe even a bit overkill.
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Here is a pic of the pan. The rocker is level (except for the end that is bent down a little). Hopefully this will shed some light on my problem. The new pan is level with the rocker on the top outboard side.Click image for larger version

Name:	1465093_706119202746685_1549409450_n_zps06ee0e4a.jpg
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	1686775 Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X