Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

head light adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: head light adjustment

How do I adjust the low beams without adjusting the high beams?

My lots are too low but my highs are perfect! 1957 truck...

You've got single bulbs! Best you can do is find a happy medium. No more than is possible with a modern vehicle. If I had a choice, I would opt for best high beams. How much better lighting do you need when traffic is coming at you?
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

There are halogen replacement headlamps that will give you improved visibility and seem to have good separation between high and low beams. I am using Hellas on my Hawk and the difference between those and stock is very noticeable. I am not using relays on them, I would probably get even brighter headlights if I did.

Comment

Headlights should be aimed with specialized equipment. Aiming without the equipment is a guess at best. I bought the equipment years ago to keep the headlights on our big trucks aimed correctly and as a plus I use it on my cars. If your headlights are aimed correctly, the low beams will be down and slightly to the right and the high beams will be straight ahead. Halogen bulbs and a relay will make 12 volt Studebaker headlights as bright as the lights on the new cars. Plus the instrument and tail lights will be brighter because the load of the headlights is taken off of the headlight switch. Bud

Comment

I've been to test-stations in both Sweden & Holland with cars cause it's obligated, & they have this special things with a big magnifying glass & all but before I go there I make sure the car is on flat level & then I take a stick & hold it in front of one light & mark out where the horizontal "level" is & then I step away about 2-3 meters from the car & adjust the light to the same level, & then the next light the same way.
          You need some fairly darkness ofcourse to be able to see the "top line".
          Then when I'm at the test-station it's always right!
          ...wonder how?

Comment

The shop manual explains how and where to put some masking tape on your garage door and aim the lights to that.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
            X