Weight of a 259 V8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Weight of a 259 V8?

About how much does a 259 V8, 2BBL (full flow version from a 62 Lark) weigh?
    I'm having my original front end from my '49 Pick Up swapped out for a Heidt rack-pinion w/PDB, etc. The guy doing the work has no experience w/Studebakers and wants to be sure re: the right front springs to order.

Any info. is appreciated.

KEN BROWN
    Central OH

The Studebaker V8 weighs 695# including bellhousing but not transmission. A T86 overdrive weighs another 95#.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I believe that Jack is thinking 'PACKARD' V8 (which actually weighs over 700 lbs!) The Stude V8 is in the 625-640 lb range.

Comment

The figures I have show the Studebaker V8 at 685 lbs .....by the way, there is only 15 lbs difference in Packard and Stude . The Packard takes much more coolant however.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
          The figures I have show the Studebaker V8 at 685 lbs .....by the way, there is only 15 lbs difference in Packard and Stude . The Packard takes much more coolant however.
          Yes Bez,.....Comparing a '56 Sky Hawk's cooling system capacity to a '56 Golden Hawk's ( both equipped with climatizer)....18 quarts versus 26 quarts!....and You REALLY believe that that big old Packard V8 only weighs 15 lbs. more than a V8 Stude?? If You lived in the Arctic, I don't think I'd have any problem selling You ice cubes!!

Comment

It's a fact Ed....I bought a freezer so I don't need no cubes of ice! Just how much do you think 8 quarts weigh?
            Last edited by bezhawk; 11-17-2013, 06:38 PM.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948

Comment

It's a fact Ed....I bought a freezer so I don't need no cubes of ice!
              Ha!....Good one!

Comment

It's a fact Ed....I bought a freezer so I don't need no cubes of ice! Just how much do you think 8 quarts weigh?
                Less than 17 pounds unless it's heavy water or mercury.

Comment

Reaching into the dark corners of my memories from grade school for the really obscure conversions:

32 ounces = 1 quart
                  16 ounces = 1 pound

I'll leave you to figure out, er talk amongst yourselves .......................
                  1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    The Stude V8 is in the 625-640 lb range.
                    and You REALLY believe that that big old Packard V8 only weighs 15 lbs. more than a V8 Stude?? If You lived in the Arctic, I don't think I'd have any problem selling You ice cubes!!
                    On the same certified scale, on the same day, with the same complete ready to run equipment; all manifolds, starter, generator, carburetor, clutch, flywheel, bell housing, the Studebaker V8 weighed 695# and the Packard V8 weighed 710#.

FWIW, S-Ps own SAE paper gives the weight of the new 1955 Packard V8, complete with all accessories, as 698#. I was weighing a manual transmission and their data doesn't say whether manual or auto. The automatic uses an aluminum bell housing and that's the most likely source of the 12# difference.

jack vines
                    Last edited by PackardV8; 11-17-2013, 10:08 PM.
                    PackardV8

Comment

Data from the magazines: 'TRUE LIFE'.....'CAR LIFE'......and 'SPEED AGE' (all circa '55) indicate that the Studebaker V8 weighs 645lbs. (less flywheel) The Packard V8 weighs 690 lbs (less flywheel) Forty-five pounds may not sound like all that much.....but the LOCATION of the engines in the Studebaker chassis comes into play here. Unfortunately, Studebaker-Packard engineers chose to mount the heavier Packard V8 further forward on the 'K' chassis. These factors give the 1956 Golden Hawk its 'plowing', nose-heavy tendencies. (Ask the man who owned TWO.......Me!)

PS...In a 1955 paper writen by W.E. Schwieder of the Packard Division, the weight of the Packard V8 was 698 lbs.....This included the relatively light Ultramatic flywheel.

Comment

Sounds like you can tell him to set it up for BBC weight.

Comment

Ed, come to think of it....I think the 15 lb difference I was thinking about was the Golden Hawk setups. That supercharger adds weight so the difference is 15 lbs.
                          The bad part about the extra lbs on the Packard is that it's so large physically that the weight is further forward in the frame.
                          The good part about the Packard is the size is it is very impressive. It makes a Chevy seem like the tinker toy that it is by comparison!
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948

Comment

It's the 50th Anniversary of the assassination of JFK and to date Ed/SN-60 has not claimed the Packard V8 was a co-conspirator and/or fired the shot from the grassy knoll.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

It's the 50th Anniversary of the assassination of JFK and to date Ed/SN-60 has not claimed the Packard V8 was a co-conspirator and/or fired the shot from the grassy knoll.

jack vines

A few of you might know which show I'm talking about, but all I see is this animated V8 on two legs(which according to a few people, is the only time that Packard V8 may ever have "legs") running down the opposite side of the grassy knoll after the trigger was pulled!
                              Last edited by PlainBrownR2; 11-18-2013, 10:24 PM.
                              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X