Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Tank Removal on 57 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Tank Removal on 57 Hawk

Is there a secret to removing the rear bolt/nut on the driver side? All the others were nice and easy to remove but I can't seem to get a wrench on the bolt head and when I turn the nut it just spins the unit. I'm hesitant to use a grinder/cutoff wheel on it in case of fumes and sparks. I bought a nut splitter but can't seem to get it on there well enough. My next idea is to vice-grip what I can of the bolt and hope I can hold the bolt while turning the nut. I tried undoing the other two bolts and trying to pry down the tank enough or bend the ear enough to get my hand above it to put a wrench on it. Air chisel? When/If I finally get the bolt out and the new tank in, what could I use to prevent this from happening again if I ever needed to remove the tank? Carriage bolts? While I'm on the subject, what about a tank pad? I saw one strip between the tank and body (didn't seem like enough). Dynamat? Some rubberized undercoating? The wire going to my sending unit is bare near the connector. Should I reuse it or splice in new(would that change the resistance and reading)? Decided to replace the tank with a later (58+) because my gauge was laying on the front seat when I got the car it's a pain to get a sending unit for 57s and I'm tired of running out of gas.

I stock sending units for 1957 Hawks
    Golden Hawk is a 3/8" line.
    Silver Hawk is 5/16" line.
    Robert Kapteyn
    815 722 7262

Comment

These guys will build you a new sending unit. Floats are coated to resist new fuels. http://mykmlifestyle.com/
      My first car on the road again!

The old girl has never been sold to the public
      Grandpa was a Studie dealer. He got it off the car carrier in 1956 and drove it until 1959
      My dad: 1959-70

sigpic

Me: 1970-2015 and counting!

Comment

Already bought the new sending unit and had the tank coated. Maybe if I ever want to go back to stock

Comment

Working...
        X