Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Hub Hubub!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Hub Hubub!

The brakes on my '61 Champ 1/2 ton pickup feel like they have very little friction and it is hard to stop. As they get hotter they work better but I doubt I could ever make a successful emergency stop. I have been trying to deal with the problem without changing the brakes to disc.
    I have replaced all of the wheel cylinders, confirmed the condition of the master cylinder. Checked all the brake lines and the brake linings. I found that the front drums need replacing and found a good set from a nearby SDC member. The drums did need the hubs replaced and the seller had the knowledge and tools to do the job and graciously found some good hubs in his inventory and put them in.
    I took the truck to my local trusted mechanic who called me later to say the hubs were too large for the spindles and would not work. These hubs are the same size as the ones they replaced. So, have I got front drums that came off a 3/4 ton truck?
    I would like some advice on how to proceed. I am not even certain that replacing the drums is the answer to my braking problem. I don't want to continue to throw money at this only to find the problem has not been solved.
    I will throw this out to you Studebaker experts and see what advice I can glean.
    Thanks.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Get your old hubs and compare the two, and see what is different. I believe the wheel bearings were changed in the mid '50's. The spindle size didn't change, and the I.D. of the wheel bearings remained the same, but the O.D. on the newer ones is smaller. If you have all the parts laid out in front of you, the difference should be apparent.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
    X