Help with Avanti II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Help with Avanti II

I am rewiring a 1981 Avanti II and need help identifying a dash indicator light. There are three small lights above the speedo and tach, left and right turn signals and one in the center that I can't tell what it is. Thought maybe high beam indicator but that is in the speedo. Also there are two switches under the lower left of steering wheel, one operates the power door locks but again I can't figure out what the other is for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

This question has come up before. It appears to be either an indicator that the carburetor choke is on or a warning light the parking brake is on or theres a malfunction in the brakes. I think the best sources to verify its purpose would be to ask either Jon Myer or Dan Booth.

The switches under the dash can be more difficult to identify. You've ID'd one...the other could be for rear defogger or defroster, driving lights, trunk release or some other function added by a previous owner. My '70 had a switch under that area that wasn't connected to anything so I simply discarded it.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

On my 83 the switch you described should be the under dash light and the light is the choke heater warning light much as Bruce says. The light should go on when you start the car and then go out. If it stays on the choke heater or relay in not functioning.

But realize that by this date the Avanti's were essentially custom built cars. What is in place on one may/may not be the same as others of the same year or close years.

The good news as far as I'm concerned is these later cars are the best built of the SBC powered series. The build quality and added equipment are much better than my 74, which as far as I'm concerned is a kit car built by teenagers.

I have my 83 manual and the car is setting in my polebarn so if you need further info, just ask here.

Bob

Comment

I think switch placement on some Avanti II's was solely dependent on who on the assembly line was working on the car. I've seen switches for the same function mounted under the dash to the left of the steering wheel and on other cars mounted on to the right. Different assembly workers did it their own way with little standardization.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Thanks for your help. I will remove the extra switch and since I have put an LT1 engine I will use the chock indicator light for the alternator sensor light. Again, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gthawkr2 View Post
            Thanks for your help. I will remove the extra switch and since I have put an LT1 engine I will use the chock indicator light for the alternator sensor light. Again, thanks
            How about a post or two on the car and engine setup. My 74 has a 383 - T56, 83 is an injected 355 and the 54K has a 91 TPI so I'm always interested in what other folks are doing. It's also a great way to leave data for others looking for advice or How-to's on the forum.

Bob

Comment

The engine swap was pretty simple since the 81 had a SBC 305 already. Even after doing some head work and removing all of the pollution stuff the 305 just didn't have the power I was looking for. Originally I planned on putting a R2 in the car but as I looked at what that would cost I decided to go the SBC route. I found a great deal on a 95 Corvette LT1 with 4L60e transmission. The engine mounts are the same on all SBC's so no change needed there but the trans mount had to be moved toward the rear an inch or so. Because the Corvette LT1 has the AC compressor and alternator both on the drivers side, I had to cut off the corner of the inner fender above the A-Arm for clearance. I am running a battery that is same L X W but about 1 inch shorter to create clearance with the AC clutch pulley. I kept the original radiator but added an electric fan with aluminum shroud.

Howell Engineering provided a new engine wiring harness and also programmed the computer to eliminate the EGR and anti-theft features on the LT1 system. Simply plug and play at that point. I changed out the LT1 exhaust manifolds and installed SBC rams horn center dump manifolds. The LT1 manifolds would not clear the steering control valve. The only other modification I had to make was I had to relocate the hole in the trans shift lever to accommodate the additional shifter positions needed for the overdrive transmission.

Here are a couple of photos of the engine bay. The LT1 lays in there pretty well.

Jim
              Attached Files

Comment

That's one tight fitting but great looking engine bay. That car should run beautifully once it's all done.

Comment

Perhaps run the air cleaner tube through the right side apron & around to the front & have the air cleaner in the grille opening like the R-3 had. Where the air cleaner is now its sucking all the hot underhood air that can't help performance much either. That engine looks really good in there!
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                  X