Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Dual master cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Dual master cylinder

Of those with Studebaker Avantis and have installed a dual master.............what specific brand, and any mods needed?? How about the height of the pedal, and the relative hardness as compared to the single master.

I used a Tilton on one, and a Wilwood on another. I used a Mopar 4 to 2 mounting stud adapter from Summit. Measure the bore of the master cylinder and adjust the push rod nearly the same length, but about 1mm shorter. I used a 15/16 bore which gives a little less required pedal pressure. The trade off is slightly longer pedal travel.Click image for larger version

Name:	R4 engine 5 copy.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1684536
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I tried putting on a dual master when I did my #1 Avanti & found it hit the crossbrace under the hood. A few years later & talking with John Metzger he told me the differences in Avanti hoods & that there were 3 different ones used during the Studebaker production. I know they had a production change on the hood hinges too but the only thing I can remember now is the rear corners (inside brace section) went from round to squared off. Perhaps Jim Turner knows what master would work on yours.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I don't recall which MC I used, but in order to clear the hood, I put extra shims on the top bolts and took some out of the bottom bolts where the MC connects to the booster.
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...lum210911.html
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Try Raybestos MC36307 bolted right on, no clearance issues.

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Not sure of the part number, but a '76 full-size Chrysler w/disc brakes master cylinder works. It's about $16 with core trade-in at Pep Boys.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Personally, I'm NOT a big fan of rebuilt M/C's. For another 30-40 bucks, you can get a brand new one! Why try to save a few bucks on a rebuilt M/C after you've spent all that money on body, paint, interior and chrome?
                Just my 2 cents worth, but think about it.

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

How can I set the booster rod length to match the depth of the master cylinder internal "cup" less about 1/8 inch I think.
                  As 'we' all know, if that rod length is not correct, either one will have no brake, or dragging brakes.
                  Thanks for the continued eduction.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the direct bolt on master cylinders listed. They weigh way too much and are quite bulky and obtrusive, and aesthetically un pleasing to the eye.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                    X