Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Vacuum Advance (Vacuum control)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Vacuum Advance (Vacuum control)

Anyone know which vacuum advance (vacuum control) mechanism fits the 1110969 Delco distributor in the 1963 Lark 259 engine in my 1959 Silver Hawk. The diaphragm is shot and the advance plate is VERY reluctant to turn. I'm freeing up the advance plate, but I need a new vacuum advance. Thanks for your help.

Howdy!

The correct distributor for your '63 is a Prestolite; the 1110969 is likely from 1960 or '61 Stude V8 truck. I'm not saying that to suggest that you should go change it to a Presto; just making you aware that this Delco is not OEM for your year engine.

The advance you want for this distributor is NAPA #VC1765, stamped either "B20" or "B26" on the bracket. I made a bit of a study of it when I rebuilt mine; you can read more here if you like

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for the information. I am not surprised that the 1110969 distributor is not the correct one for a 1963 Lark/Hawk 259, as this engine if in a 1959 Silver Hawk with apparently a rather checkered past. Since discovering that the vacuum control had failed, I also noted that the advance plate does not turn freely. I assume that it has not moved from its position for quite a while. In trying to free the advance plate, I found that it was held to the central collar with serrations. Forcing the advance plate to move feels like it rotates about one serration-worth, if you know what I mean. I can see no means for stabilizing the advance plate other than the serrations on the central collar. Is there something that is supposed to turn with the advance plate? Thanks.

Comment

OBTW, the vacuum control that I removed had a "63" stamped on it.

Comment

There are lots of good used V-8 distributors out there. Maybe you could start with another one that has a more vanilla past and is not FUBAR.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Just set my static timing by using my ohmmeter.

Comment

Working...
            X