Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

wipers and switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: wipers and switch

In a '64 GT there are supposed to be 2-speed wipers, but I only have the "hi" speed. Suspect it is a switch problem, but want to test the wiper motor to make sure. I have the manuals and the wiring diagram, but need suggestions. There are a red & a yellow wire going into the motor and two black wires attached to the housing beside the wiper motor. The diagram simply shows four wires attached to the motor. Which terminals/wires probably power the "low" speed wiper?

I've looked for a '64 GT wiper switch (new or used) from a number of vendors with no success. Any suggestions of additional places to "look" for this switch? Thanks
    Larry

Conjecture on my part, since I don't know the '64 wiper motors with four wires; I suspect one of the wires would go to the foot "washer" switch to activate the wipers when the washer is pushed. Mine only has three wires and the low speed is fed through one wire and the high speed is attained by feeding both. Hopefully, someone with the fair dinkum will soon reply.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I may have this post in the wrong forum, or '64 GTs are not common enough to be known. Are there any ideas or solutions out there? Thanks.

Comment

Studebaker international shows your switch in their catalog.

The black wires go to the park switch. To test I would disconnect the connection, then would run power to each of the yellow and red wires. If the motor runs, then you know it is not the motor. I am not sure which is high and which is low.

You could also test by disconnecting the motor and the wiring junction and test to see if you have power to the connection when you move the switch. You would have to have power on to the switch.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I believe Post #2 is correct, I have always found on most Studes. that it takes BOTH Yellow (slow speed) and Red getting power, to get HIGH Speed.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
          X