Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Delay

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Transmission: Delay

    My '56 Sky Hawk with Flight-O-Matic won't go into Drive until the engine's been running for awhile. The fluid level reads full, and it shifts fine after that.
    peter lee

  • #2
    I've had plugged tranny coolers that will do that. Or maybe a vacuum sensor somewhere on the tranny....

    Comment


    • #3
      Peter, when was the last time you changed the transmission fluid? Smell it & if it has the odor of being burnt, then change it including the torque converter. FOM transmissions do not have a vacuum modulator. Pressure is regulated by a linkage to the throttle assembly. If you transmission is not air cooled & has cooler lines, then blowing them out when you change fluid is always a good idea.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

      Comment


      • #4
        I've had the car for 5 1/2 years and put 10k miles on it. The transmission was taken off another car and put on mine when the car was restored about 6 years ago, so I guess the fluid had to be changed to do that. Should I have it serviced if it runs fine otherwise?
        peter lee

        Comment


        • #5
          It couldn't hurt.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
            I've had the car for 5 1/2 years and put 10k miles on it. The transmission was taken off another car and put on mine when the car was restored about 6 years ago, so I guess the fluid had to be changed to do that. Should I have it serviced if it runs fine otherwise?
            The fluid may not have been changed then. Even it was, IMO you are overdue for a change anyway.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

            SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
              Peter, when was the last time you changed the transmission fluid? Smell it & if it has the odor of being burnt, then change it including the torque converter. FOM transmissions do not have a vacuum modulator. Pressure is regulated by a linkage to the throttle assembly. If you transmission is not air cooled & has cooler lines, then blowing them out when you change fluid is always a good idea.
              I believe a 1956 Flight-O would be air cooled.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                My '56 Sky Hawk with Flight-O-Matic won't go into Drive until the engine's been running for awhile. The fluid level reads full, and it shifts fine after that.
                Is this delay something that happened suddenly, or has this delay happened gradually and is getting worse?

                Comment


                • #9
                  It has the most common failure of very Old Borg Warners, and probably ALL Automatics, the Clutch Drum Seals are cooked.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It's been going on for a while and has remained the same.
                    peter lee

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      That sounds like a very expensive rebuild job to me.
                      peter lee

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Go to the auto parts store, and buy a can of Trans-X. I believe it is made by K&W, but if I am wrong, someone will let me know. It contains a seal softener, and is often effective in this sort of condition. It won't "cure" the problem, but it may delay the inevitable rebuild for a few months, even a few years. I'd warm the car up, pour in the product, then go for a drive of 50 miles or more to give it a chance to work.
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think that as long as it shifts fine I can live with the delay getting it into gear when I first start it up. Frankly, I'm afraid putting any additives in might screw it up more. Call me cautious.
                          peter lee

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X