Alternator Conversion From One Wire to Three wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Alternator Conversion From One Wire to Three wire

Bought a Powermaster 68 Amp one wire alternator about five years ago and am now getting around to install it. It was, at the time, all the rage to have a one wire set-up. However, I now would prefer to have the better accuracy sensing of the three wire. Has anyone done the conversion? Or, has anyone converted from three to one wire (may be able to employ reverse engineering)?
    Paul TK

If you are using a separate regulator, this is generic bit should work.

With internal regulator

Pay attention to the 1 and 2 positions on the alternator. I would suggest that instead of a direct jumper from the battery feed line on the internally regulated one, you use a wire that comes from the ignition that is only on when the ignition is on instead. I just had these in my files

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 10-17-2013, 01:24 PM.

Comment

As for converting the alternator it'self, just replace the internal regulator with a stock one, that is the only difference. I've gone both ways more than once. Of course you will also need to wire it up according to how it should be, and sense at the proper point... But, what's wrong with just using the one wire setup? Answer: Nothing at all.
      Corley

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
        But, what's wrong with just using the one wire setup? Answer: Nothing at all.
        The only "problem" is that it has to see about 1500 RPMs in order to start charging. But I don't think that is much of a problem at all.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
          The only "problem" is that it has to see about 1500 RPMs in order to start charging. But I don't think that is much of a problem at all.
          At least 20 years ago, an auto electric shop in California sold me a diode wire for the "one wire" alternator, that simply plugs into either one of the two alternator terminals, and the other end connects to the power post on the alternator. With that in place, the alternator starts charging immediately upon engine start-up. No "kicking" the engine RPM up to start charging. I liked it so well, went back and bought another one. Two of the three current Studes have that diode. The third one that does not, needs the RPMs kicked up to begin charging. Wish I'd bought a couple more of those diode wires.
          Not really an issue though, except in cold weather I don't really like to kick the RPMs up with the motor cold.

One of the three alternators is high output (70 or 72 amp), and has always had a bit of whine. DOn't know if the OP's 68 amp will whine or not. Its not really that noticeable though.
          Last edited by JoeHall; 10-17-2013, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X