Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

How does it work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: How does it work

Okay... I get in my truck one time and my brake pedal goes straight to the floor. After running the truck for about ten minutes the brakes slowly come back. I get in my truck another time and my brakes are all good. I'm talking; get in my truck to drive to the store and brakes are good and come out to drive home and brakes are gone but get home and turn the truck off then back on and brakes are back. I can't find any leak and fluid is full!?! It is a power brake system and all the fittings appear tight so what could be causing this?

It sounds like a Bad Hydrovac Brake Booster, and or the Master Cylinder.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

First thing, check your master cylinder cap. It sounds like the tiny vent hole has accumulated enough gunk to begin to plug up and not allow the reservoir to breathe. When that happens, the master cylinder can develop a vacuum and not allow pressure to build. Although brake systems develop a large pressure differential...the "volume" is small. Therefore, it does not take much vacuum in the reservoir to offset the ability to develop pressure.

I have had to perform this maintenance procedure several times over the years.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Might also check travel of pedal. If it is not coming back far enough, it won't uncover the hole to let fluid in . Might be right at point where it clears one time and not the next.
        Randy Wilkin
        1946 M5 Streetrod
        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Working...
        X