Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1951 Champion door locks keyed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: 1951 Champion door locks keyed?

I don't have keys for the locksets on my doors. I pulled them out and cant figure how they could be rekeyed. The tumblers dont have a cover that I have seen on other locksets.

Can they be rekeyed? Any suggestions on who could rekey them?

Thanks,
    John

Yes. They can. I took mine to a a local locksmith (still in the doors) and they were able to make keys. They did take the locks out but they have the right tools so it was easy for them. The locksmith told me that sometimes they can even make keys without taking the locks off the doors. He did not seem to think it was any big deal.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Door locks should match the ignition. Trunk lock should match the glove box.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally the ignition key also operated the doors. Have you tried that? They might need some lubing and wiggling to get them working again. In a perfect world you would still have the little metal tag attached to the key ring with the key code, or you would have a copy of the build sheet that has the key codes on it. Then you would go to a lock shop where the tech had a book of the codes which tell him the cuts to make.

Comment

Dwain, have you not been paying attention? This is a perfect world ! It could only be better if it were more perfect.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
            Originally the ignition key also operated the doors. Have you tried that? They might need some lubing and wiggling to get them working again. In a perfect world you would still have the little metal tag attached to the key ring with the key code, or you would have a copy of the build sheet that has the key codes on it. Then you would go to a lock shop where the tech had a book of the codes which tell him the cuts to make.
            I don't have the stock ignition switch in my Champion. I do have a copy of the build sheet. So now where to find a lock shop with codes for a 1951 Studebaker?

Thanks.

Comment

In the case of the original poster it would be a perfect world if he had two sets of keys with the dealer key holder.
              Instead, he will have to look for the oldest key co. around and hope for the best.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...caidwebber.jpg

Comment

OK. I got my key number. I emailed the KEY MEN. Any other locksmiths who can make me keys with the number?

Comment

Well after you have the Locksmith make a Key per the Factory code, it SHOULD fit your Doors, but then you will have to Buy a NOS Lock Cyl. and Key and a NOS Ignition Switch from a Stude. Parts Vendor and have the Ign. Lock re-keyed to match your Door Locks.

This sure sounds like the hard way to do this, but if you have started the process, I see no other way.
                  Some Stude. Vendors would have the complete set of (3) Locks for a lot less trouble and maybe about the same cost.

Check your Los Angeles Area Phone Book and look for the Locksmiths that their Ad says they have been in Business since the 50's or 60's for the best help.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                  X