Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

6 vs V8 Radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 6 vs V8 Radiator

My 1959 Silver Hawk left the factory with a 6 cylinder engine in it. Now it has a V8. Were the 6 cylinder and V8 radiators the same in 1959? Thanks.

The outside dimensions are the same but the upper hose neck is about 1/4" smaller in diameter. A 6 cylinder radiator may only have a 2 row core. You can look down from the radiator cap area & see if it has 2 or 3 rows. If it is a 3 row you should be ok since an upper hose from one of the vendors (not a universal one from a FLAPS) should compress enough to seal. It has done that on the 60 lark parts car I have now.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The Six Cyl. lower Outlet Tube is moved outboard as well, but if Warren was able to fit it, the hose must stretch or bend a bit, if that is the OEM replacement hose I think it is, a new one has to be trimmed to fit anyway.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Josephine came with 6 cyl & I just put a bit of narrower hose-piece between, haven't drove through any desert just yet thou but I did mount an electric fan...
        & that reminds me that I have to post a question!

Comment

If You come across a good V8 radiator that fits Your '59 Hawk...I'd definitely buy and install it.

Comment

Working...
          X