Expert purchasing tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Expert purchasing tips

I'm a first time user to this forum (and Studebakers) so you will have to excuse my ignorance. I am interested in purchasing a Studebaker, specifically a 1950 Champion - 2 door. It will end up being a gift for my dad since this was his first car. I would like to inquire from the vast knowledge of the forum about the best ways to purchase. I have viewed many other similar vehicles online - most in worse condition.

I have found one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1950-...orcev4exp=true and was hoping to get some feedback and thoughts. Additonal information from the seller is "the car is very nice, need to fix cosmetic issues, such as carpet, plastic interior ceiling, small cracks in the steering wheel and a small cut on the board. We must polish the chrome fenders. See the actual conditions of the painting, with a polished know if it is or really need a paint. The tires are white-faced. It lacks the air filter, which is great. We will have to check your spark plugs and oil filter to see the conditions. The same know if all indicators work. All moldings are good, the hood close well, the photos is half open. "

There are a few catches as I live in West Virginia and the car is in San Diego. I would be unable to physicall view the car before purchase. I know this post is lengthy but I would appreciate any informationl help.

Thanks

You are at a good place to seek out the info...
    I would suggest jumping over to the SDC (Studebaker Drivers Club) chapter site:

http://studebakerdriversclub.com/chapters.asp

Look up California, and send an e-mail off to the chapter people in the San Diego area.
    Perhaps a club member could go and eyeball the Studebaker for you and answer any specific questions you might have.

Good luck with your quest for your Dad.
    Sounds like a fun project!
    Jeff
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

funny the owner states no reserve but add show different, lot of people in San Diego that might take a look at it for you.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Lack of a title would scare me. I wouldn't consider it until you check out how difficult it would be to get a valid title in your state. These cars are not too hard to find in decent running/driving condition, I would keep looking.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The seller did say he would try and obtain a/the title. I checked here in WV and the DMV won't do anything with just a bill of sale. The car must be titled so yes, I probably will need to keep up the search.

Comment

I would like to add that you consider only buying a Starlight Coupe. Buying a 2 door sedan or a 4 door is a cr*p shoot at best in terms of resale potential. The Starlight Coupe has the famous wrap around rear window. Here's a picture of that iconic back window. It really does make the car stand out.

I'm not knocking the other models, but I think you would be doing yourself and your dad a favor to buy this style. Just my opinion.
            sals54

Comment

Don't buy in haste, 1950 was the high water mark for Studebaker production. Still a lot of them around.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                I would like to add that you consider only buying a Starlight Coupe. Buying a 2 door sedan or a 4 door is a cr*p shoot at best in terms of resale potential. The Starlight Coupe has the famous wrap around rear window. Here's a picture of that iconic back window. It really does make the car stand out.

I'm not knocking the other models, but I think you would be doing yourself and your dad a favor to buy this style. Just my opinion.
                I could not agree more. I'm not knocking other models or owners either. If I were out buying today, I would be looking for one-step-up-on a minimum return on investment. Regals are nice but Starlight Coupes do it for me big time. Find one done and save alot of money in the long run. Starlight Coupes are totally cool.

Allen
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Check the SDC Classifieds
                  http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/classified.asp
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Knowing these Cars all my life, the other thing I would certainly consider is; I would want the best Steering and Suspension design I could get on a Car this old, so If it really does not matter to your Dad if it looks EXACTLY like the one he once owned, I would consider upgrading to the similar looking, much better Car, the 1951 Models.

If it REALLY has to be a 1950, you can forget you saw this.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

From what I can find there wasn't a whole lot of cosmetic changes from the 50 to 51 - painted outer ring on the bullet nose and flush,slightly larger front grill. But yes, a better ride should win over. I did find a starlight coupe in need of restoration for ~ $3000

Comment

Just to gain as much knowledge as a can, what specifically about the suspension and steering makes the 51 models better than the 50?

Comment

Working...
                        X