Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

61 Hawk 289 engine/trans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 61 Hawk 289 engine/trans.

Hello all: Wanted to ask if anyone can tell me if crankshafts are predrilled to accept standard trans. set up (flywheel) ,Thinking of changing out auto. trans. First time on. Not good at typing! THANKS, Arthur
    Last edited by arthurc1946; 09-30-2013, 08:42 PM.

The crankshaft bolts are longer for the manual transmission.
    If you go from an auto trans to a manual trans, you will need to change the bolts.
    This will require you to drop the oil pan, remove the rear main cap, and replace the bolts.
    The bolts have a 'flat' that indexes on a shoulder on the crankshaft to keep the bolt from turning when you install the nuts.
    HTIH
    Jeff

Originally posted by arthurc1946 View Post
    Hello all: Wanted to ask if anyone can tell me if crankshafts are predrilled to accept standard trans. set up (flywheel) ,Thinking of changing out auto. trans. Firrst time on. Not good at typing! THANKS, Arthur
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks for the info. Engine was blown when I got it,been looking to replace it. Not sure how much damage yet. Trying to find something near my area that is running or will run so I can use car & better asess damage. THANKS

Comment

Arthur, welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum!

You will find that the Studebaker Shop Manual and the Chassis and Body Parts Catalogs are very good with illustrations and good instructions on all parts and procedures on the entire Car.
        These are available in Book form, but much less cost on CD ROM Disc. at Studebaker Vendors at: http://studebakervendors.com

To do a change out of a Studebaker Engine from one Trans. type to another (or ANY mismatched Bell Housing) requires Dial Indicating the Bell Housing to match the Engine to get both the Transmission Input Shaft and the Crankshaft centerlines within about .005 of true center.

The only way to avoid this is to use the Factory Dialed in Bell Housing that you are sure is original to the Engine.
        And really, after 50 or so years, I would check it anyway as described in the Manual.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks for the welcome & the info. Just trying to keep it all Stude., somehow.

Comment

...up here in New England, it shouldn't be too hard to find a decent running engine/tranny combo to slap into your car....ask around to the Tri-Spokes folks and Dave T-bow...

Comment

Up heeaahh' in NH it's been a slow process !!! When you say what you're lookin foaahh ,folks tell yahh they know someone who usetaa have a bunch of'em but they don't no moaahh or they'll ask around right quick for yuh and yuh don't hear frommemm atolll ayuh!!!! Thanks for the reply. ARTHAAA

Comment

I thought you said "you had trouble typing Arthur?. That NH accent even though your typing it, is funny as hel_! I am from " North Jersey" originally and even though I 've been away from there for 40 years, I just need to talk on the phone with my brother(who still lives there) for a few seconds and its like I never left. Welcome to the Forum, hope we can get you and your 61' Hawk running. I have a 58 Silver Hawk and a 61 Hawk also.. Mike..

Comment

My akscent??????

Welll I beg your pahhhdun .I wuzz a wound up.Been right out straight don'tcha know!!! Just wenn outtoday an bought me a62GT HAWK,juss for the mottaa ansome pahhts off'n it !!!! wadddya think?? Got my 61 Hawk outtta CA,firse week in Aug thiss yeaah, been playinn withit whilst lookin fora motaah ayuh.Goin ta see if I kin get the 62 motaahh runnin an put it inthe 61 funnow. yuh. If'n she don't go, I'm waitin ta heeah bout nother.Shuud have nuff paahhts?? Yuh ,can speak coupla differant languages-(CA hey dude parrrk the carr-FL-MIupper ehh-Joisey avannuh-ME BAHH HAAAHBAAH-NY corfee please-CAN KOMAAHHSAYVOO?-Newfie ehh boy/girl).What accent????THANKS for the comeback, Oh yes (Boston reggulakarffee)What accent!!!!!????? Arthur PS: Is North Jersey the 51st????!!!! Don't think I kin get theyaahh frum heeaaahh !!!!!!!
                  Last edited by arthurc1946; 10-04-2013, 03:14 AM.

Comment

"YeaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!.. Mike..

Comment

Arthur...Back in march of 2012 I took out my auto and put in a T-10. Joe Hall told me about a technique where you can have the flywheel crankshaft bolt holes COUNTERBORED so you can use the automatic (shorter) bolts...so you don't have to tear off the pan and drop the back main bearing cap to get the short bolts out. Search for "T-10 Conversion" . Joe was kind enough to send me specifics on the process...I did it and have been running fine since then. D
                      sigpicGood judgment is the result of experience; ...experience is the result of bad judgment.

Comment

Have done that on a couple of Stude's.
                        Works OK, but I wouldn't suggest it for a working truck, or a performance application.
                        I have pic's of the process on my other hard drive, and could dig them up and post them.
                        Did this on a Bridgebort, where the depth and centering could be controlled.
                        Jeff

Originally posted by Doug Bowen View Post
                        Arthur...Back in march of 2012 I took out my auto and put in a T-10. Joe Hall told me about a technique where you can have the flywheel crankshaft bolt holes COUNTERBORED so you can use the automatic (shorter) bolts...so you don't have to tear off the pan and drop the back main bearing cap to get the short bolts out. Search for "T-10 Conversion" . Joe was kind enough to send me specifics on the process...I did it and have been running fine since then. D
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The answer to your question is 'Yes'. Stude crankshafts are bored to accept the pilot bushing for the input shaft for the manual and automatic transmissions.
                          I think that's what you were asking.

I'm not sure about other makes, but the Caddy 501 series (425-472-500) engine crankshafts are NOT bored to accept a manual tranny input shaft.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Works OK, but I wouldn't suggest it for a working truck, or a performance application.
                            As Jeff correctly states, this counterbore conversion is for light duty use only. CASE's didn't specify any changes or parts differences which added production and inventory cost if the warranty cost without it wouldn't have been greater.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                              Have done that on a couple of Stude's.
                              I have pic's of the process on my other hard drive, and could dig them up and post them.
                              Did this on a Bridgebort, where the depth and centering could be controlled.
                              Jeff
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1684060 Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0006.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1684061 Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0007.jpg
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1684062
                              Here are pix of the modified flywheel. Note the use of "wave" lock washers, about .050" thick, to minimize recess depth. In the last pic, notice the flywheel is still as thick as the crank flange it bolts to.

I don't know anything about "performance application", but Lester Schmidt told me of this mod (the, now deceased, guy with the million mile Transtar "working truck"). It has been in my GT now for over 275,000 miles. That GT has a tow-hitch on the rear, if that tells you anything.
                              Last edited by JoeHall; 10-06-2013, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X