No announcement yet.

Which front wiring harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Which front wiring harness?

I'm planning to switch to 12 volt as part of the rebuild. I will be using Stewart Warner wings gauges and alternator.

Should I be ordering a Hawk front hiring harness instead of the Speedster version? .

That will be an interesting swap, because the Hawk has a quite different dash, I would lean toward a Speedster Harness because a 6 Volt Car has heavier gauge wire and overkill can never hurt.

The Positive Ground thing only applies to the Battery and the Ignition Coil so going to Negative ground will not be a problem either.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Contact Donald at Larkworks with your question. He's the man for making Studebaker wiring harnesses, and I'll bet that he can probably make you a custom harness with the right connections you need. It's worth a shot.
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

You can get "factory original" harnesses from Studebaker West in Richmond, Ca. I agree with the previous comment; go with the 6 volt harness because the 12 volt system will only require 1/2 the amps of the 6 volt and the 6 volt harness will provide you with much heavier gauge wiring. I'm presently installing the "factory replacement" harnesses from Studebaker West in my '53 Commander even though I am converting to 12 volts.
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Correction for original correct type Wire Harnesses: Call Carl Thoms at Studebakers West in Redwood City, CA near San Francisco 650 366 8787.

SDC Members and "Turning Wheels" advertiser for many years.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 09-28-2013, 07:24 PM.
          StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
            You can get "factory original" harnesses from Studebaker West in Richmond, Ca. ... I'm presently installing the "factory replacement" harnesses from Studebaker West in my '53 Commander ...
            Some years ago I contacted Studebaker West for a "factory original" harness for my '53. I was told their harnesses, though of high quality, were not braided lacquer coated like the "factory original" ones that were installed in to 1955. Fit, function and quality should not necessarily be labelled as "factory original."
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

If you wan't cloth cover original type harnesses, contact Rhode Island Wiring . Y-n-Z yesteryear Parts is by far the most accurate to the original.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

What about a universal kit like "Painless" Products?

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  Some years ago I contacted Studebaker West for a "factory original" harness for my '53. I was told their harnesses, though of high quality, were not braided lacquer coated like the "factory original" ones that were installed in to 1955. Fit, function and quality should not necessarily be labelled as "factory original."
                  Wasn't 1955 the first year for Plastic Coated wires?
                  StudeRich

Comment

Yes, Rich. There has been some previous discussions about '55s that still included some cloth covered harnesses or portions thereof.
                    The consensus was that leftover stock from the '54 models was used until gone. There is no serial number cutoff date on these in the parts catalogs.
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10,
                    '51 Commander Starlight,
                    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I've met Donald at the C.S., meet and I'd love to buy wiring from him. I was just slightly unsure of peoples' opinions of his products/work, but it seems that I should probably continue the idea of buying from him.
                      www.spannerbird.com
                      Coral/Beige 1953 Studebaker Commander Starlight.

Comment

I also recommend Donald Erickson

I noticed that the cloth versus plastic wires was discussed briefly earlier in this post. Footage wise, the cloth covered wiring made up approximately 1/3 of the total wiring on my car.

Charlie D. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1938.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	1687123Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1941.JPG
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1687124Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9506.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1687125Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9796.jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1687126Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9866.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1687127

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                          What about a universal kit like "Painless" Products?
                          I'm with Doug.

With the conversion to 12V, generator replaced with alternator, different steering column, different gauges, I would go with a universal kit.

I've done several cars with EZ Wire products.

http://www.ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Merlin,

I forgot about your newer steering wheel which would not be using the original style wiring. You are a very goal oriented individual who gets a bunch of things done in a hurry!! Keep up the good progress.

Charlie D.

Comment

I just spoke with Donald and I'll probably need to and will be replacing almost all the wiring as besides having already purchased the spark plug wires/cables, and the battery cables seeming to be in good condition, most of the wires are bare and in spots, corroded. I decided on going with almost everything as I don't want to have to purchase one small kit, then realise I need more wires over time. It also gives me peace of mind that every wire in the car will be new.
                              www.spannerbird.com
                              Coral/Beige 1953 Studebaker Commander Starlight.

Comment

Working...
                              X