Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Window won't roll up all the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: Window won't roll up all the way

My drivers window won't roll up all the way. I have a 54 Commander 4-door, & just replaced the slide the window rides in and glass. The front goes up almost all the way up but the back is sloped downward and is 3/8 in short of the channel at the top when the window is rolled up. Was my glass cut wrong, or is there an angle adjustment that can be made to align the glass in the channel? It seems even when rolled down, and the bottom stop is set OK. There is a 1/2 in nut in a separate hole I played with a bit, but it did not seem to do anything. Does it matter where the glass is positioned in the track that connects to the regulator? I just centered it on the glass.
    Morris Van Horne
    1954 Commander

did you have the origional glass as a pattern when the new piece was cut ?
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

No- it came from a pattern at a glass shop- wonder if they may have used a coupe pattern.
      Morris Van Horne
      1954 Commander

Comment

The coupe window is much longer than the sedan, so that's not it.

How does the glass shape compare to the passenger side at similar heights?
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I was hoping to not go there, but may have to pull the passenger side to compare them. The passenger side could probably stand lubing up.
          Morris Van Horne
          1954 Commander

Comment

Verify that the guide pins (that ride in the slots on the bottom of the glass) is really in the slot, not below or above it (front and back)

Comment

Originally posted by Morris Van Horne View Post
              I was hoping to not go there, but may have to pull the passenger side to compare them. The passenger side could probably stand lubing up.
              I am not suggesting pulling the other side apart. Just roll both of them up to similar heights and see if the tops of both glasses are the same contour, the same relative height from front to back, and things like that.

The most likely thing is that the regulator is sticking, the glass is cocked, or the glass is not attached to the regulator properly, or the little wheels/guides are broken, or something like that. Just use the good side as a reference and go from there.

Roll both all the way down and count the number of turns of the crank to the top. Exercise both windows and see what is different from side to side. See if they both go down the same way and to the same depth.

Roll them both up and compare the relative positions of the bottom of the glasses where they meet the metal part that holds the glass.

Look at it, measure it, and think about it, before taking it apart. Use the right side as a guide to determine what is wrong with the left side.
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 09-08-2013, 06:18 PM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I used a thin piece of cardboard and slid it down between the glass & cat whiskers on both windows. The distances were both the same, front vs front and rear of the window vs rear. I'll take it apart next weekend and do more exploration.
                Morris Van Horne
                1954 Commander

Comment

Working...
                X