Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Fluid Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: Fluid Leak

Hello,
    The 63 R2 has a pretty good leak occurring at the Throttle Selector Shaft . This is where the shaft actually hooks onto the tranny. 3 Speed Auto. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0925.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1740459 you can click the picture for one that is bigger.

Does anyone have experience repairing a drip like this? It is actually makes a pretty good size puddle.

Any information would be helpful.

Unfortunatley,the transmission has to be remove to change the seal. There isn't enough room to remove the shafts once the pan is dropped and the retaining nut(s) removed.
    They are not difficult to replace, just to access! The worst part is the detent ball and spring. They are devilish and try to make you go mad.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Hi Bezhawk,

Any help on what parts I should buy as replacements? the diagrams from the Studebaker international catalog are hard for me to make out.

What parts would you buy to fix such a problem?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Comment

The inner shaft seal (for the throttle pressure control) is a simple "O" ring. The shift lever seal is a lip type seal, and cones with a transmission reseal kit.
        The worst part is lining back up the shift detent ball and spring when re-installing things. You may get lucky and have the room to remove the levers. Usually you get them out to the last 1/4 inch, and they hit the floor boards transmission tunnel. To access it you nee to drop the pan, and remove the valve body. It's only held on with three bolts (the closest to the pan rail). Once that is out of the way, there are nuts that retain the lever shafts. The pressure rod nut is 1/2", and the shifter lever is on with I believe a 3/4" nut. Once you slide the shifter lever out of the case the detent ball and spring go fling accross the room and hide in the darkest corner!. If you go to all that trouble I would recommend biting the bullet, and putting at least a reseal kit in it!
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
        X