Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Speedo Pinion selection with 205 X 15 tires....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo/Tach/Gauges: Speedo Pinion selection with 205 X 15 tires....

OK..so 6.70 bias tires were roughly 1/2 inch taller than the 205's. My 62' wagon will have a 3sp w/OD and a 3.31 R/A. For the best mph read on the speedometer, would a pinion gear for a 3.73 read more accurately that the 3.31 ??

You did not mention all the specifications of your tires but I'm guessing you have P205/70R15 but if you have P205/75R15 it won't make a difference. P205/70R15 translate to the old 6.40 and 6.70 translates to P205/75R15. If you look at the Shop manual and look at the pinion chart both 6.70 and 6.40 tires use the same 20 tooth pinion for a 3.31.

The best way is to do a proper time and distance test or try a GPS. Very rarely will the speedometer be accurate at all speeds anyway.

If this is not what you asked then ask again. Len.

Comment

If your car is drivable and you have a GPS that shows speed, check the speedometer against actual as shown on the GPS. A little math will give you the % of error. Count the teeth on your pinion gear and again do a little math to calculate the closest tooth count for the correction. You should be able to get pretty close, it isn't likely that a 50+ year old speedo is very accurate under the best of conditions, they were more like a "guideline" even when new.

Comment

thanks...and funny both should chime in on speedo inaccuracy....point well taken...

Comment

jackb, the answer to your original question is yes. With my '64 Daytona on P205/75R15 tires it was necessary to increase the pinion count by 2 to match the GPS reading. With a ratio of 3.07, it required a 20 tooth pinion rather than 18 with the automatic transmission. Radial tires have a noticeably different rolling diameter or revs/mile than bias-ply tires of comparable size.

Comment

Working...
          X