2R5 rear end confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    I am sorry, I guess I forgot to mention in my Post #4 that of course it is a Dana Spicer, I thought you knew that a Model 44 is a very common Dana Axle as used in Chev./GMC Trucks, Jeeps, Packards, Hudsons, Nashes, Studebaker Cars etc.
    1949/56 Ford/Merc Passenger Cars / 1951/56 F100 / 1961/67 F100 with Limited Slip / 1976/79 F100/150 with/without Limited Slip // 2004/2014 Nissan Armada/Titan.
    Last edited by WinM1895; 11-22-2013, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Just found out my 49 2R5 has a Dana 41, 53/11. What options do I have here, while keeping this original, any?

Thanks,

LN

Comment

You should be able to get 10 spline side gears to swap out the 19 spline in your new differential and use your current axles. Lamar

Comment

Ok Lamar, now you have me totally confused. My Dana41 is a 53/11, 10 spline shafts. All I have is the original diff. Looking to convert to 3.73 or thereabouts? What is available and how? I am a real novice here with rear ends among other things. I don't touch rear ends myself . Please elaborate.

LN

Comment

Sorry for the confusion, I was responding to post #15. In your case get in touch with a local off road shop and let them fix you up, write a check and happy motoring. Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by lanthony2020 View Post
              Ok Lamar, now you have me totally confused. My Dana41 is a 53/11, 10 spline shafts. All I have is the original diff. Looking to convert to 3.73 or thereabouts? What is available and how? I am a real novice here with rear ends among other things. I don't touch rear ends myself . Please elaborate.

LN
              The Dana/Spicer 41 was the predecessor to the 44, and hasn't been built for a long time. However, it was used by Jeeps and a number of pickups into the 1950s. As Lamar said, go to a Jeep/4WD shop and see what other ratios are available.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Great!

Thank You,

LN

Comment

The difficulty finding other gears for the Dana 41 axle is that the carrier (case) for the ring gear also has to be replaced if you want ratios like 4.27, 4.10, 3.91, or 3.73. A very few 2R Studebaker trucks had the 4.55, 4.27, or 4.09, none had anything lower. Call Hidden Valley Auto Parts in Maricopa, AZ and see if they have a 1949-50 Ford or Mercury station wagon, or a1948-50 Ford 1/2-ton truck with a Dana 41 axle using one of those 3.73-4.10 ratios. Kaiser/Fraser ring& pinions from 1947-51 also work. As I recall, there were also some 1947-50 Studebaker Commanders with automatic transmission that used the Dana 41 with lower ratios, maybe 3.90. I think the Jeeps all had 4.82 and higher ratios, none lower than the M5. If Hidden Valley has anything, have them check the carrier/case very carefully for cracks.

An overdrive transmission is still a much better option. With the 0.7:1 overdrive ratio, your 4.82 rear axle behaves like a 3.37 ratio, and now you get 4 useable speeds, call it 5 if you count 2nd in overdrive. Also, don't neglect the fact that you'll be paying someone to do the swap, replace all of the expensive bearings, and set the backlash if you open up the rear axle. A transmission swap is a little easier, but will require that the drive shaft get cut and re-welded, plus you need the lockout cable and a little wiring for the solenoid.
                  Last edited by garyash; 02-07-2015, 09:58 AM.
                  Gary Ash
                  Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                  ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                  '48 M5
                  '65 Wagonaire Commander
                  '63 Wagonaire Standard
                  web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Thanks Gary, I have an extra overdrive transmission from a Champion. The sinks look perfect. I got it with the truck. Thought the old departed builder was probably going to swap it in or take the over drive off and add to the original?

I would have to use the original bell housing regardless as the mount are different as another viewer suggested. I posted pics and ID on another thread. I think the other transmission was a t96(?). It was replied back that it probably came out or a 50 car or so.

I just serviced the original rear end and the gears look great.

My dad's had the overdrive. Mine now, but still in long term storage at a friend of my dad's plane hanger.

Dad restored this completely. I did not get to drive it after. I am certain he would have fixed the overdrive. He spared no expense on it. Unfortunately, he was the victim of a homicide the very day of the first show he took it too. The show sticker/plaque is still in the window. Kind of a sensitive subject.

When I return to SD, I will finally be able to retrieve it and get it running again. It has been almost 12 years now.

Thanks for your advise.

LN

Comment

Wonder if anyone could help out her. Might help a lot of folks. Just got this from Randy's Ring and Pinion. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. I sent Randy's the Gary Ash list of gear ratios and numbers from previous post. Anyone have a clue? This is regarding the re-gearing of the Dana 41 rear end.

Randy's: I looks like a lot of the information you sent me is gear ratio based. Are you able to provide me with pinion and carrier bearing numbers to verify if the parts I have in stock will work for your vehicle?

Comment

The pinion bearing cone and rollers are Timken 02872 (Studebaker 190032) and 31594 (Studebaker 190036). The cone and rollers on the carrier is Timken 25577 (Studebaker 190048), at least for the higher ratio ring gears. I think the Ford part number for the 3.73 ring gear is 8C4209.

Read the post where this got discussed in detail a few years back. Note especially the direct communications I got from an engineer at Dana.
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/archive/index.php?t-37601.html
                        Gary Ash
                        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                        '48 M5
                        '65 Wagonaire Commander
                        '63 Wagonaire Standard
                        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Thanks Gary. Randy's replied today with:

Hi ---,

Listed below you will find the entire parts listed for the master overhaul kit which includes the bearings and races you listed in your previous email. I do also have just a pinion kit which matches up to your parts list as well. I do not have any D41 Ring & Pinions in stock as it appears to be a fairly obsolete gear. From my research it is significantly larger than a D44. I hope this information helps, please let me know what you would like to do.

Comment

Working...
                          X