X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
    Remember that on a Studebaker, you generally have to have the headlights on before the backup lights will work. On newer, other brands of cars, cars, the backup lights work even with the headlights off.
    On a '63, you only need the Ignition or Engine on and in "Reverse" to light the Back-ups.
    Older Studes. were wired through the Headlight Switch.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Remember that on a Studebaker, you generally have to have the headlights on before the backup lights will work. On newer, other brands of cars, cars, the backup lights work even with the headlights off.

Leave a comment:

• christophe
    replied
    Mine were not working by the fault of the switch. It is located at the bottom of the steering column and prone to be kicked up with your feet. Rotate it downwards if you need to re-establish the contact with the gear linkage. Link temporarily the two wires on it to see if it is the culprit.
    Best of luck.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by pine52 View Post
    That was my guess. Mine are not working;Tried new bulb.Probably switch?
    If they are both not working, first check the fuse and then go to wiring and switch.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Don't give up too soon on switches, wires, or bulbs. All of our cars are old enough to suffer from various degrees of corrosion. It has been years since I owned one, but I believe Hawks have fiberglass dash material that needs a good clean conductor surface for the chassis ground circuit on the car. Even if you store your vehicle in a relatively dry place...moisture from atmospheric humidity, can (over time) promote corrosion that affects conductivity. Just this past week, I found one of my tail lights on my truck was not working. When I removed the bulb, I found a thin layer of corrosion had formed on the base of the bulb and inside the light socket.

A brief visit to the wire brush on my pedestal grinder, and a corresponding cleaning with a hand-held wire brush inside the socket, solved the problem. It is part of the never ending tinkering these vehicles require. Before you toss your switch or bulbs, check and clean all connections. A small cylindrical shape wire brush is good to fit into your light sockets to clean them.

A small can of CRC dielectric spray lube would be good to follow up your cleaning. It will protect from corrosion and prolong your connections.

Leave a comment:

• pine52
    replied
    That was my guess. Mine are not working;Tried new bulb.Probably switch?

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    Standard, just below the tail lamps.

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    Some GT hawks destined for xport had their back up light sockets wired to the turn signal switch and were outfitted with amber lenses. If one needed back up lights, I suppose there might have been 56 Hawk back up lights installed. My best guess. jimmijim

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Yes, they were.

Leave a comment:

• pine52
    started a topic Electrical: backup lights

backup lights

were back up lights standard equip. on 63 hawk?
Working...
X