backup lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: backup lights

were back up lights standard equip. on 63 hawk?

Yes, they were.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Some GT hawks destined for xport had their back up light sockets wired to the turn signal switch and were outfitted with amber lenses. If one needed back up lights, I suppose there might have been 56 Hawk back up lights installed. My best guess. jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Standard, just below the tail lamps.
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

That was my guess. Mine are not working;Tried new bulb.Probably switch?

Comment

Don't give up too soon on switches, wires, or bulbs. All of our cars are old enough to suffer from various degrees of corrosion. It has been years since I owned one, but I believe Hawks have fiberglass dash material that needs a good clean conductor surface for the chassis ground circuit on the car. Even if you store your vehicle in a relatively dry place...moisture from atmospheric humidity, can (over time) promote corrosion that affects conductivity. Just this past week, I found one of my tail lights on my truck was not working. When I removed the bulb, I found a thin layer of corrosion had formed on the base of the bulb and inside the light socket.

A brief visit to the wire brush on my pedestal grinder, and a corresponding cleaning with a hand-held wire brush inside the socket, solved the problem. It is part of the never ending tinkering these vehicles require. Before you toss your switch or bulbs, check and clean all connections. A small cylindrical shape wire brush is good to fit into your light sockets to clean them.

A small can of CRC dielectric spray lube would be good to follow up your cleaning. It will protect from corrosion and prolong your connections.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by pine52 View Post
              That was my guess. Mine are not working;Tried new bulb.Probably switch?
              If they are both not working, first check the fuse and then go to wiring and switch.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Mine were not working by the fault of the switch. It is located at the bottom of the steering column and prone to be kicked up with your feet. Rotate it downwards if you need to re-establish the contact with the gear linkage. Link temporarily the two wires on it to see if it is the culprit.
                Best of luck.
                sigpic

Comment

Remember that on a Studebaker, you generally have to have the headlights on before the backup lights will work. On newer, other brands of cars, cars, the backup lights work even with the headlights off.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                  10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                  56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                  60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                    Remember that on a Studebaker, you generally have to have the headlights on before the backup lights will work. On newer, other brands of cars, cars, the backup lights work even with the headlights off.
                    On a '63, you only need the Ignition or Engine on and in "Reverse" to light the Back-ups.
                    Older Studes. were wired through the Headlight Switch.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                    X