Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washtubman
    replied
    I just replaced my wheels and tires on my 57 Hawk. I went with 15x6 wheels and 215x55 coker radials. The size looks perfect for the car. I don't think I have an inch to give on the back, so I would not attempt 7 inch wheels unless the backspacing was a little deeper.

Leave a comment:

• skyway
    replied
    Sizeable 14 inch tires are getting hard to find. Last time I bought, 225 70R14's were the biggest I could find. They looked OK on by '63 GT, and on my '66 Fury. The Hawk ran 7 inch late 1960's (mustang I think) steel wheels with 1958 Studebaker full covers. Those '58 wheel covers are the single best reason to use 14 inch wheels.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by GinettaG12P View Post
    Will 14X7 aluminum wheels fit onto my 1959 Silver Hawk? If so, what size tires are best? Thanks.
    It depends.

They need to have a 4 1/2" bolt circle.

They need to have enough back spacing to clear the rear fenders, but too much and they will rub on the front tie rods.

IMHO, you will need a fairly tall tire in order to not have the wheel/tire combo look too small on the car since your car came stock with 15" wheels (4 1/2" wide). A 215/75/14 will get close to the stock wheel/tire diameter.

Really, the only way to find out for sure if they will fit, is find a tire store that will work with you. Have them mount up a tire you think may work and try it on both the front and the rear.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Yes, with the correct offset, they will fit.

No, I wouldn't recommend them. The Stude Hawk has relatively large wheelwell openings, especially on the front. To my eye, the 14" wheels and tires are too small.

Maybe, do a search here. The wheel discussion has been covered a thousand times. Look at several C/K builds before you decide. Personally, I'd go with 16" Ford steel cop car wheels or the Crown Vic/Lincoln aluminum wheels before I'd go down to 14"s.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    A wheel that wide may fit the rear but on the front you might have some issues. Backspacing is important. Too much & the wheel will hit the steering arm, too little & it could rub against the wheel opening edge of the fender. I believe Coker Tire has on its website the sizes of various tires. You will want one that has the diameter of the original 6.70x15 which is closest to a 195/75r15 I believe.

Leave a comment:

• GinettaG12P
    started a topic Wheels / Tires: 14X7 wheels

14X7 wheels

Will 14X7 aluminum wheels fit onto my 1959 Silver Hawk? If so, what size tires are best? Thanks.
Working...
X