Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thunderations
    replied
    There are ready made brackets to mount a later rotary compressor onto an original, York style, mounting bracket Check with any A/C shop. It's a common upgrade for A/C. They will have everything needed and explain why you need or don't need an idler pulley.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post
    Is an idler pulley/three point belt necessary on air conditioning?

In my slow process of adding air conditioning to my Lark, I finally picked up the two main brackets for a compressor but not the bracket who's sole function it is to hold the idler pulley. My original plan was/is to buy a bracket so the compressor would pivot and the belt would run from the crank to the compressor for a two point belt set up.

I have an aluminium base for a fixed compressor that came with the compressor. Since I want to do this right which is the best way to go... a three point belt system like in the parts book or a two point belt system like if one had power steering.

Either way I have to buy another bracket

Jeff T.
    Personally I wouldn't want the compressor to be moveable in part due to the hoses and connections. When I bought a Vintage Air setup from J&N (Railway on the Forum), it came with an idler pulley. I would avoid using the factory idler pulley setup. I have found it very difficult to slide the idler pulley in a slot and hold it tight enough to tension the belt properly. Most after market AC installations used a pivoting idler pulley which worked a lot better (IMHO).

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
    If you're going to re-engineer, it's probably worthwhile to change to a modern compressor like a Sanden. It weighs less, uses less HP and cools better, and it has eight ears to allow for most any sort of swing mount.

And if the belt stretches too much, spend eight bucks for a new one.
    Yes, I definitely had a compact 'Sanden' compressor in mind!

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by Swifster View Post
    The factory system used three belts with a tensioner for a separate A/C belt. This may not be a factory type system, but I'm just showing this as an example.

That is the setup on our 63GT, that I am pretty sure has factory AC, except I put a Sanyo 508 compressor on it. Only downfall is the extra load on the water pump.
    On the 62GT, I installed a kit from Vintage Air, that has a belt that runs from the crank pulley, to the compressor, then over to an idler, than back to the crank, so no load on the waterpump.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    When I installed AC on my Lark years ago, I used the old original style York compressor, factory style bracket, with double crank pulley and an idler pulley. If I ever do another one, I think I'll look into using one of the more modern compact compressors that I believe are more efficient and less draining on horsepower.

Just speculating, but I would investigate the possibility of a mounting bracket with slots for the base and an adjustable slide mount for the compressor base. That way, you could construct a lateral slide for belt tension without having to pivot the compressor. If it is possible to build a compact adjustable mount...without a separate idler pulley, so much the better. That eliminates one more component subject to maintenance and failure.

Leave a comment:

• jnormanh
    replied
    Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
    Can be done, BUT..

The reason the compressor is fixed is because it will hold it stable, better. Remember, you are compressing a gas with pistons, so expect vibration..

In building your pivoting compressor, you will need an adjustment bracket for the front, like on the alternator, and one in the back as well..

Also as the belt stretches you will have to pivot the compressor more.

Depending on location, you might run out of room.. and then there is the Hose Placement and they will have to flex as well..

The 3rd man pulley sort of resolves all of the above issues. But send some pics or sketches and lets see your idea in whole..
    If you're going to re-engineer, it's probably worthwhile to change to a modern compressor like a Sanden. It weighs less, uses less HP and cools better, and it has eight ears to allow for most any sort of swing mount.

And if the belt stretches too much, spend eight bucks for a new one.
    Last edited by jnormanh; 08-19-2013, 06:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SScopelli
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post
    Is an idler pulley/three point belt necessary on air conditioning?

In my slow process of adding air conditioning to my Lark, I finally picked up the two main brackets for a compressor but not the bracket who's sole function it is to hold the idler pulley. My original plan was/is to buy a bracket so the compressor would pivot and the belt would run from the crank to the compressor for a two point belt set up.

I have an aluminium base for a fixed compressor that came with the compressor. Since I want to do this right which is the best way to go... a three point belt system like in the parts book or a two point belt system like if one had power steering.

Either way I have to buy another bracket

Jeff T.
    Can be done, BUT..

The reason the compressor is fixed is because it will hold it stable, better. Remember, you are compressing a gas with pistons, so expect vibration..

In building your pivoting compressor, you will need an adjustment bracket for the front, like on the alternator, and one in the back as well..

Also as the belt stretches you will have to pivot the compressor more.

Depending on location, you might run out of room.. and then there is the Hose Placement and they will have to flex as well..

The 3rd man pulley sort of resolves all of the above issues. But send some pics or sketches and lets see your idea in whole..

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Originally posted by Swifster View Post
    The factory system used three belts with a tensioner for a separate A/C belt. This may not be a factory type system, but I'm just showing this as an example.

Right, but we're not discussing the factory system here. We're discussing ELIMINATING the belt idler/tensioner pulley through the use of a pivoting a/c compressor installed onto a custom mounting bracket.

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jnormanh
    replied
    The ideal setup is a separate pulley off the crank serving only the AC compressor and an adjustable compressor to set the tension. That setup gives maximum wrap on both pulleys and therefore less tension needed. Less tension = longer belt and bearing life.

If you include the compressor on the same belt as the water pump, generator/alternator, you'll need more tension and can overload water pump or generator bearings. AC compressors consume more HP than other accessories and need higher belt tension.

A little extra forethought and fabrication can make for a more reliable installation.

If you're going to drive just a few thousand miles/year, it may not matter.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
    The last air conditioner I installed used a single belt for everything. The belt is tightened with the alternator. So far, so good. I did a 65 Cruiser last year with a three point/idler system. With the Sanden type compressor and home-made mounting bracket, I had to shorten the idler pulley mount for proper fit.
    Jamie,
    I have ran that setup on the 56J for years, and until recently on the 62GT for years. I run mine with the compressor between the alternator & water pump. Biggest problem with that setup is, the belt doesn't get much surface contact with the compressor pulley, due to the belt angle. Running the belt good and tight helps, as does running the widest belt that will fit. I suppose swapping the alternator & compressor locations would help the compressor, but then the alternator would experience the same problem. I have just learned to keep the belt tight.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
    How do you propose belt tensioning if there isn't a provision for adjustment? Either an idler pulley or the compressor has to have adjustment in its mounting bracket. Modern serpentine systems have one idler for all the solid mounted pumps ect to reduce NVH.
    Warren,...Jeff T mentions a 'pivoting compressor'. That would be where the belt tensioning would come into play.

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    replied
    The last air conditioner I installed used a single belt for everything. The belt is tightened with the alternator. So far, so good. I did a 65 Cruiser last year with a three point/idler system. With the Sanden type compressor and home-made mounting bracket, I had to shorten the idler pulley mount for proper fit.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    How do you propose belt tensioning if there isn't a provision for adjustment? Either an idler pulley or the compressor has to have adjustment in its mounting bracket. Modern serpentine systems have one idler for all the solid mounted pumps ect to reduce NVH.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    You know what?...That's a good question! If everything clears with a pivoting compressor, why not go with the two point? (belt-whip may possibly be a problem though)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X