X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnMSeymour
    replied
    Originally posted by sals54 View Post
    For 10 bucks at Harbor Freight, get a heat gun. It'll blast that goo liquid, then shoot it with fresh grease.
    Don't forget to do the same with your king pins, and don't stop shooting grease till its oozing outta the top. It'll make a heckuva mess, but its worth it. The car will drive like it has power steering.
    Thanks Warren and Sal. I did both. It's nice and free now.

But, I can't find my grease gun!

Who's got my grease gun!

Dag Nabbit!

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    For 10 bucks at Harbor Freight, get a heat gun. It'll blast that goo liquid, then shoot it with fresh grease.
    Don't forget to do the same with your king pins, and don't stop shooting grease till its oozing outta the top. It'll make a heckuva mess, but its worth it. The car will drive like it has power steering.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    If carb cleaner doesn't work try a hair drier on "high" & that should loosen the grease that's in there enough to let it drip out & soften, then replace the zerk & grease it up good.

Leave a comment:

• Dried Grease in Lower Shift Bracket

My '51 Champion Custom has a zerk fitting on the lower shift bracket. I'm cleaning and lubing my gear shift mechanisms. The car hasn't been driven for 30+ years. I took the zerk fitting off and found the grease was dried.
    So, here's my question-
    Can I flush the old grease out by spraying carb or brake cleaner through the zerk fitting hole while excercising the shifter, then replacing with new grease?
    The manual says the "Custom" has a different shifter than other models.

Thanks,
    John in Temple City, CA
Working...
X