Bulb Types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Bulb Types

Hi, Can anyone provide me with a list of the correct bulb types for the dash of my 55 Champion?
    I'd like to get all new bulbs before opening up the dash. Thanks, Sarge

There is a source on eBay that sells a complete replacement set of 6v bulbs for any Studebaker. I've bought the set twice. Comes with individually bagged and labelled packages in a Styrofoam take out tray. Cheap and complete.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

The bulb types/sizes are all individually listed in the 1953 Owner's Manual. I assume that they are also in the 1955 manual, but I do not have one here.
      For 1953, the dash, including the tell-tale headlight beam, uses Mazda No. 51.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Do not "OPEN UP" your Dash! Just get your head under there and pop the bulb sockets out with a gentle side push (tilt), then push in and turn Counterclockwise to remove the Bulb. Probably 2 in Speedometer, 2 or more in Instrument Cluster all Standard Bayonet base (Brass) 6 Volt #55 (Large)

The Turn Indicators L & R, and High Beam Indicator should be #51 (Small).

If you have Automatic Drive, there will be another #51 inside the Trans. Indicator Dial.

All simple '50's Standard 6 Volt Car Parts that no Auto Parts Store counter Clerk under 50 will understand.
        You could snap them all out in 5 minutes and take them to the Store to show the dumb a$$es what they look like!
        Last edited by StudeRich; 08-12-2013, 01:01 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I got the bulbs for my '53 from Duluth, Minnesota. Good price, quick service: http://www.oldtimeparts.com/index.htm

Comment

Good call, Rich, take the bulbs in and show them what you want. Make sure they understand that 6 volt bulbs exist.

Comment

Unless the car has been rewired be careful with the existing old very brittle wire insulation. The insulation will crumble if you look at it too hard.
              55 was the last year for the old rubber covered wire.
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                The bulb types/sizes are all individually listed in the 1953 Owner's Manual...also in the 1955 manual,
                What he said. If you don't have the manual (usually found in the glovebox) get one from one of the Studebaker vendors.
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                  Unless the car has been rewired be careful with the existing old very brittle wire insulation. The insulation will crumble if you look at it too hard.
                  55 was the last year for the old rubber covered wire.
                  1955 was also the last year for six volt systems in Studebakers. We are all assuming that the car has not been converted to 12 volt.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks everyone, Yes, the car is still 6 volt and most parts stores in my area no longer carry 6 volt anything.
                    Now that you guys have provided the numbers ( thank you) i'll try Duluth or ebay. I guess I should clarify, what I meant by "open it up" was removing all the bulbs, possibly messing with brittle wires, breaking bulb bases, etc, then not having anything to replace it with then and there. Left undone I might have a senior moment and forget what goes where. i needed to ask all these questions cause the manuals are on the way but I wanted to dive right in the deep end. I like the thread where a member installed/modified LED bulbs, very cool idea. I may try it.
                    Once I find/buy a fog light switch, I'll have those operational too. Many Thanks all !

Comment

Originally posted by STUNT KARZ View Post
                      Thanks everyone, Yes, the car is still 6 volt and most parts stores in my area no longer carry 6 volt anything.
                      Now that you guys have provided the numbers ( thank you) i'll try Duluth or ebay. I guess I should clarify, what I meant by "open it up" was removing all the bulbs, possibly messing with brittle wires, breaking bulb bases, etc, then not having anything to replace it with then and there. Left undone I might have a senior moment and forget what goes where. i needed to ask all these questions cause the manuals are on the way but I wanted to dive right in the deep end. I like the thread where a member installed/modified LED bulbs, very cool idea. I may try it.
                      Once I find/buy a fog light switch, I'll have those operational too. Many Thanks all !
                      Keep in mind that LEDs are polarity sensitive. This creates a new set of problems with your Positive ground system (You do know that it should be Positive ground.).
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Yes, Thanks Gary, I'll have to tinker with the solidering to reverse it but it might be fun.

Comment

I wouldn't be too enthused over new incandescent bulbs.

The assumption is that the new bulbs are the same quality as the old bulbs were when they were new. But since the old bulbs were made in the USA when bulb manufacturing was a viable money making business, and the new bulbs are made in China as an obsolete business, my point is that the new bulbs are inferior.

If your old bulbs show no darkening of the glass, and you plump up the center contact with some solder, the old bulbs should carry on for many more years.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                          X