Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

dual exhaust how to ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual exhaust how to ????

I have a 1960 Lark with a 259 and want to put dual exhaust on it. I have A 2 1/4" and Flowmaster on the right. The muffler shop said that I would need a rear dump exhaust manifold so that the steering would be cleared and also to avoid extreme heat on the starter. Has any one installed the left side ??? How ???.....thanks Brad

Duel exhaust was optional. They used the std. manifolds. Any muffler shop, should be able to do it. The system is available thru many Studebaker venders.
    Klif

55 Speedster
    42 Champ Coupe
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

A good but probably not inexpensive option would be to just get the headpipes from Silvertone (Don Simmons) he can make them with larger size tube if that's what you want, but with the factory bends. They're stainless, too. Then you will be able to R&R the starter without dropping the exhaust, which is handy.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Brad,
        Get all the pipes from Simmons, put them in yourself. No big deal they fit like the factory ones. An afternoon project and your done.

Tim K.
        '64 R2 GT Hawk
        Tim K.
        \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

I installed 2 1/4 duel pipes on my 60 4dr, no problem with starter. Be sure ex. manifold studs are in good shape. I used the oem bracket near the frame riser that's just in front of differential. There happened to be a 64 Cruiser fram that had duels and took the left bracket from it. The frame on your 60 already ahs threaded bungs for it. made the job go easier. I'd find someone who's really interested in doing the job. Anyone that has parts cars will have one. Hope this helps.
          Kim

Comment

When I put Flowmaster dual exhaust on my Lark, I found a local muffler shop that had the old catalogs that gave the measurements and where to bend the exhaust and tail pipes for my Lark. After I gave them a deposit they bent the pipes according to the measurements given in the catalog they had them ready and waiting for me the next day. They fit quite nicely, snug fit but no interference with the steering. Love the sound too

Studebaker Fever
            60 Lark
            51 Champion
            Phil
            Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
            60 Lark
            56 Power Hawk
            Phil Hendrickson
            Arnold, Missouri

Comment

I bought a tail pipe for my '60 from SASCO,very reasonable price.I think the complete system is all available from them.[it cost about $30 for the pipe,and $8 for shipping,took 2 days to get here]

LaSalle,Il
              61Hawk
              60Lark
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Brad, whatever you do - hats off to you for knowing it's DUAL exhausts ..... as in TWO of them. Duel exhausts would be a pain what with the exhausts always dueling with on another.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The drivers side pipe goes forward, and than back next to the starter.
                  There is no special manifold required.

Tom
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Brad,
                    Tom's description of the head pipes is correct, and is even so in the exploded pictures from the parts manual. Don't be confused with the rest of the picture not resembeling your system...this illustration is for the Avanti
                    Dan Miller

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Interesting that the 'special order' system has a cross-over pipe, and the other does not...

One more example of being 'Ahead of their Time' perhaps?
                      [:0] [^]

StudeDave [8D]
                      V/P San Diego County SDC
                      San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
                      '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
                      '57 Commander 2dr
                      '57 Champion 2dr
                      '58 Packard sedan
                      '65 Cruiser
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Yes sorry, the diagram is of the Avanti, I couldnt find anything else
                        online to link to. A Lark is similar ..... same head pipe, the rest
                        is different. You get the idea though.

Tom
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Dave,
                          They actually refered to that as a "balance" or "equalizer" pipe. Add that to the "regular" mufflers AND resinators, really strangled[xx(] the Avanti and made it sound like a Hoover Vacuum Cleaner...woooooooosh
                          [B)]
                          Dan Miller

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                          Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Add that damned "equalizer" and it's REALLY a pain to get the exhaust on and off unless you add an unboltable flange to said equalizer pipe. Once that system is welded up (or even gets nicely oxidized together) it's hell to get that rigid pipe structure on or off the manifolds if you need to.[xx(][8]
                            Also makes things more difficult when extracting or installing an engine. I'd rather not elaborate how I know these gems of insight.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

"They actually refered to that as a "balance" or "equalizer" pipe."

That's the word I was looking for, but couldn't seem to think of~ I knew my word was wrong, just had a 'brain fart' at that momment is all-
                              sorry 'bout that (in more ways then one!!!)
                              [)]

StudeDave [8D]
                              V/P San Diego County SDC
                              San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
                              '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
                              '57 Commander 2dr
                              '57 Champion 2dr
                              '58 Packard sedan
                              '65 Cruiser
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)