coolant recovery tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: coolant recovery tank

I want to install an overflow radiator tank in my '53 Commander Starliner. The one from Studebaker Int'l doesn't seem to fit.
    Questions: 1. Any ideas where that one can be placed? 2. Any others that might fit?
    Thanks,
    Joe Kresse

Couple of things to consider...

If this is truly just an overflow tank, then it should just catch the drips.

But it it is a coolant recovery tank, then you should consider a couple of things.

1) You must use a 'closed' cooling system cap.
    A closed cap allows expanded coolant to flow into the overflow tube, and only allows coolant back into the overflow tube.
    An 'open' cap allows expanded coolant into the overflow tube, but allows air back in when things cool off.

2) You need to keep the PSI rating of the cap low enough not to balloon your top tank out.
    Some Stude radiator top tanks are more prone to flexing as the PSI goes up.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Coolant overflow tank

Originally posted by jkresse View Post
      I want to install an overflow radiator tank in my '53 Commander Starliner. The one from Studebaker Int'l doesn't seem to fit.
      Questions: 1. Any ideas where that one can be placed? 2. Any others that might fit?
      Thanks,
      Joe Kresse
      I shopped Speedway Motors to find a beautiful polished aluminum overflow tank (various lengths are available). Start here: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search...overflow+tanks. Mounted mine on the firewall and routed the overflow line to the tank along the frame rails. Looks good, too, when you open the hood. studeguy54@verizon.net if you want a pic of my installation.

Comment

Speedway also has a variety of Stainless Steel tanks - Diff. lengths & dia's. (around $35-45).
        Summit Racing has plastic tanks @ approx. $20 in diff sizes and colors.
        Paul TK

Comment

Working...
        X