Right Front Turning Signal Stopped Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Right Front Turning Signal Stopped Working

I noticed that the right turn signal dash indicator was not flashing when the lever was moved for a right turn indication. Upon further investigation I noticed that the exterior right front turn signal bulb was not flashing.

The front parking lights all work. When I switched bulbs from right to left, the bulb blinks properly. The right rear bulb flashes properly. I replaced the Flasher unit.

Is there a relationship between the dash indicator bulb and the exterior bulb? Any suggestions?
    Peter Bishop
    Director,
    Northeast Zone

The turn signal uses a second filament in the same bulb. This second filament is much brighter that the one for just the light.

What you are experiencing is exactly what happens when that turn signal filament burns out. All you need to do is replace the bulb. It should be a 1034 or an 1157.

First, buy a new bulb and put it in.
    If that does not work, check the socket for corrosion and make sure the outside of the socket is grounded well.

"When I switched bulbs from right to left, the bulb blinks properly." Which bulb? The front signal? The indicator?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Yes there definitely IS a relationship B/T the Indicator on the dash and the Front and Rear Turn Signals. Usually when the Indicator does NOT flash or flickers very fast, it means that a Front or Rear Bulb is out, has a bad connection or is NOT grounded.

These Two situations depend on if you have a Heavy Duty Flasher or a Standard one, their function is based on the amount of Load.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 07-30-2013, 01:37 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Let me rephrase...

When you switch the bulb from side to side (and I am assuming this is the outside turn signal bulb) does the problem follow the bulb or does it stay with the socket/side?
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Problem stays with the socket when switching bulbs. I am using a NAPA 552 flasher unit. So the question remains - If the dash indicator bulb is out does that put the outside turn signal circuit out of commission?
          Peter Bishop
          Director,
          Northeast Zone

Comment

Just connect a alligator clip wire from the Bumper or bumper bracket to the Light Socket with the signal on and see if it works with the good bulb.

If not, it may be time to reach behind the dash and replace the #53 dash light bulb in the T/S Indicator.

Also, is the REAR Right T/S light staying constantly ON when switched on?
            Last edited by StudeRich; 07-30-2013, 01:47 PM.
            StudeRich

Comment

The rear T/S on both sides work properly
              Peter Bishop
              Director,
              Northeast Zone

Comment

It's very common to have a bad ground from the socket body/shell/barrel to the frame.

Having the indicator light go out will not usually kill the whole signal system. You probably have two problems - a bad indicator bulb and a bad turn signal/parking light socket/connection.

Comment

More times than I can recall, I have soldered a lead on a socket and then securely grounded it somewhere nearby. Most of the sockets are brass and sandpaper or a file will clean a spot so you can solder a wire to it.

Comment

If the socket was not grounded properly, would the parking light still work? My parking light does work, both filiments in the bulb are good.
                    Peter Bishop
                    Director,
                    Northeast Zone

Comment

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
                      If the socket was not grounded properly, would the parking light still work? My parking light does work, both filiments in the bulb are good.
                      Usually not, but it is easy to test for a open Ground anyway.
                      I have seen them seek a Ground from the dash Turn Signal indicator light or another Bulb and work anyway.
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 07-31-2013, 08:45 AM.
                      StudeRich

Comment

You may have a broken/failed connection/point somewhere in the power line to the right exterior directional. You have eliminated the bulb as the problem. The flasher isn't the problem. I doubt that it is a ground problem because the parking light works. Check for power at the terminal in the socket with the right signal on. If you do not have power there, check back to the point where you do have power and then repair.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If the ground is bad, the parking light can still work by using the turn signal filament as a ground return.

usually when this happens, you can turn on the parking lights and turn on the turn signal. Instead of getting brighter when the signal flashes, the light will go out. Off-on-off-on, rather than light-bright-light-bright. That's a good test for a bad ground.

Comment

Working...
                          X