Aftermarket disc brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Aftermarket disc brakes

I just bought a '57 C-cab from a acquaintance of mine. He worked hard at the project over the last three years. One of the problems that the truck suffers from is poor braking.

The source car for many of the parts used on the truck is a 1992 Camaro. The Camaro rear end set up (10 bolt) with the stock GM disc brakes were installed. A Turner system on the stock solid axle was used on the front brake system of this truck.

When driving around town the brakes work together, but... If you try to panic stop the brakes will not lock up. Otherwise, when in a emergency stop situation the brakes slow the truck down but won't grab to stop all the forward momentum of the truck. The brakes feel like a way overheated set of drum brakes.

The master cylinder is full and all the air was bled out of the system.

I seem to remember something about the master cylinder bore size effecting the brakes. Presently the power brake bell and M.C. look to be a small unit that appears brand new. There is a proportioning valve. There appears to be no problem with the fore to aft braking bias.

Can you offer any insight on the system as it is installed (Turner front, Chevy rear)? Does this problem sound unusual?

I appreciate any help you might offer.

Sounds like a booster would help. That 's the exact same experience I've seen with my GT Hawk (no booster at the moment). Turner discs front, stock disc type stude set up rear. My MC is 1" bore, standard brake pedal...
    My car will stop, but you have to be on top of things when you apply the brakes. Strong legs are an asset. I don't have any trouble stopping the car, but I'd never let my wife drive it..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

A smaller diameter master will help too. If you can find one which interchanges with a smaller bore one size smaller such as 7/8" will make a big difference. Ceramic pads take less pedal pressure too. With the ceramics be sure to do all four wheels or you'll have a mis match.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Sounds like the pads are junk. There is a world of difference in pad wear & performance characteristics. With cheapos, the ones that last a long time don't stop very well, while the ones that stop well wear out quickly.
        Two of my cars have huge, 12" discs with GM calipers, which pads are readily available for. After disappointment with cheapo pads, I lurked & read on a Corvette forum, and went with their favorite brand, "HAWK HPS" (High Performance Street). I would not go back to cheapos if someone gave them to me. With the HPS, there is NO fade, and the longer you engage the brakes the more they grab. Just the opposite of cheapos. They only cost around $65 per set IIRC.
        Last edited by JoeHall; 07-30-2013, 06:44 PM.

Comment

You need to be careful with some pads advertised as high performance. Real hi-po pads require heat to grab properly and haul a car down. That's not good on a street car so make sure any pads are made for street use.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
          X