Control arm seals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Control arm seals.

Ordered Upper and lower control arm seals from SI. The upper ones came and the lower ones are back-ordered with an indefinite fill date. With all that remains to be done on the vehicle I figured that worst case, I'd temporarily assemble without lower seals and put them in when they eventually came.

Today I had the idea of seeing if NAPA had a suitable substitute. For the sake of guessing what the missing seals might look like, I slipped the ones that came on the upper pin only to discover they were way over diameter but fit the lower pins perfectly. The one old one that sort of remains is snug on the pin.

Conclusion: Find the right size hose and cut 1/4" to 3/8" slices to use as seals for the upper pin and use the ones they sent as lower seals.

Or go to your local Bearing Supply Store and buy some "O" Rings they can replace the square profile Seals that Studebaker used.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

My rebuild kit from SI had regular "O" rings. Make sure you have about .004"-.007" of "squeeze" for a good grease seal, otherwise the grease won't reach the upper part of the kingpin & bushing.

Comment

Thanks. I'll try Whistler Bearing Supply. Good point on squeeze pressure.

Comment

Which seals are we talking about?
          one poster referred to the seals between the threaded bushings on the outer control shafts on the "A" frames and another
          referes to the seal on the bottom end of the kingpin.
          Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Outer end of control arms... square cut about 1/4" wide.

Comment

I stock all of these rubber seals but need part numbers.
              Robert Kapteyn
              studebaker@mac.com
              815 722 7262.

Comment

SI shows 525035 upper and 199385 lower. As loose the uppers that the sent fit I think they really sent me lowers. I'll call.... thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
                  Ordered Upper and lower control arm seals from SI. The upper ones came and the lower ones are back-ordered with an indefinite fill date. With all that remains to be done on the vehicle I figured that worst case, I'd temporarily assemble without lower seals and put them in when they eventually came.

Today I had the idea of seeing if NAPA had a suitable substitute. For the sake of guessing what the missing seals might look like, I slipped the ones that came on the upper pin only to discover they were way over diameter but fit the lower pins perfectly. The one old one that sort of remains is snug on the pin.

Conclusion: Find the right size hose and cut 1/4" to 3/8" slices to use as seals for the upper pin and use the ones they sent as lower seals.
                  I like your idea of slicing a hose. Its not really a seal anyway, more like a dust cover. I have torn down many front ends with some of these seals missing. As long as you keep it greased every 5000 miles or so, the slices of hose should be more than adequate.

Comment

May want to try to find hydraulic hose for this. Oil/grease usually will soften and swell a typical 'coolant' hose material.
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Rocket Seal here in Denver believes they have a fit at $1.27 each. So I'll plan on paying them a visit.

Comment

Working...
                      X