Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BobPalma
    replied
    Thanks, Robin. I believe the one I have will work when redrilled. 'Much appreciated anyway. BP

Leave a comment:

• stude1964
    replied
    Bob
    You can thank Patrick for the pics. If you need an original bracket let me know I'll send you one.
    Rob in PA.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    I will redrill it and mount it lower and that will solve the problem.
    BP
    If you are not concerned about have a Studebaker plate mounting bracket - you could always make your own. An old friend back in Texas used a retired road sign and made his own brackets - that would give you a lot of flexibility to move the plate how ever much you want.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Excellent photos, Patrick and Rob; thank you.

I can see from those that my bumper appears to be at the correct height, but my license plate backing (the actual mounting "plate") is not correct for the rear of the car, and is probably an inch too high. I will redrill it and mount it lower and that will solve the problem.

Again, thanks so much; very helpful and crystal-clear. BP

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Here are a few reference photos from Rob in PA while replacing his old plate with a YOM plate.

Here it is with just the plate mounted.

We discovered with the Studebaker Drivers Club license plate surround, you can put a sheet of paper on top and it is difficult to pull out with the gate down...

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Son O Lark
    replied
    Bob, after checking both of my Wagonaires, the license plate bracket has been bent in at the bottom so the plate is outward at the top. The license does angle down a little but not enough to notice.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Pile
    replied
    My Wagonaire had the same problem.

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    Bob...I'll say what a couple of bozos yelled to me as they passed by when I was sitting on the side of the road with an older Corvette I used to own..."Shoulda bought a Ford!"

Leave a comment:

• Bullet
    replied
    I had a number of 65 wagonaires over the years and never had a problem. I would try loosing the bolts on the bumper brackets. I used the car a lot! and never had that problem. Sorry you are.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• stude1964
    replied
    Bob
    I just checked my '64 wagon. The license plate bracket has the mounting studs at the top where it bolts to the bumper. If it's upside-down there would be interference as the license plate would be too high. Sorry I can't post pics here (as I'm a real D/A with this stuff). BTW PA. has a "year of manufacture" license plate law now. I just put a '64 tag on the wagon to replace the "classic" tag. The YOM is just like an antique tag-permanent and requires no annual inspection. Good luck with your plate or rather tailgate! Rob in PA.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Good comments, Brad and Matthew; thanks. I'll check accordingly.

'Prolly will at least hog out the 'plate holes. That had already occurred to me, but thought I'd post anyway.

I see from these responses that it's a chronic problem; the designed clearance is marginal at best, with no tolerance for what might happen to the car down the road. BP

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    If the bumper jack was ever used....check the bumper. Loosen the frame to bracket bolts, and see if there is slack to lower the whole assembly. Then retighten bolts. BTDT.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    BP, it seems like it'd be easy enough to "hog out" the holes in the plate to make it sit lower.

Leave a comment:

• Son O Lark
    replied
    Bob, (it was early in morning on first reply) now that I think about it my license plate might be bent outward?! I will check when I get home later.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
    Bob
    Is it possible someone flipped the license plate bracket upside down when they put it back on the bumper which would cause it to be higher?
    Fellow '64 SR wagon owner in PA.
    Rob
    Thanks, Rob, but not really. I've looked at it carefully and there is no way the license plate or bracket could be mounted any lower than they are. BP

Leave a comment:

Working...
X