Wagonaire license plate / tailgate interference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Wagonaire license plate / tailgate interference

Fellow Wagonaire owners: When lowered, the face of the tailgate on my Wagonaire wants to contact the top of the license plate...just barely. The license plate is of normal height, mounted in the proper position.

I'm thinking maybe the bumper was raised a tad to accomodate a trailer hitch that is long since gone, but was obviously there at one time. The tailgate is fairly solid as they go and level when lowered, so I cannot attribute this to hinge fatigue due to rust. There just isn't enough of that to cause this, and the contact is slight.

Ideas? Anyone else experience this? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I had to bend the top of the plate to the contour of the bumper. It wasn't hard with the cheap aluminum plates we have in Indiana. If I remember correctly the bracket might have needed a little bending too.
    Last edited by Son O Lark; 07-29-2013, 06:19 AM.

Comment

I thought there was a thread on here years ago about this but I can't seem to find it. I think it's a common problem. I'm pretty sure there's a mark on our 65's tailgate. I didn't think much about it until it was mentioned here. I wonder if you can modify the plate bracket so it sits lower.

Comment

Bob
        Is it possible someone flipped the license plate bracket upside down when they put it back on the bumper which would cause it to be higher?
        Fellow '64 SR wagon owner in PA.
        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
          Bob
          Is it possible someone flipped the license plate bracket upside down when they put it back on the bumper which would cause it to be higher?
          Fellow '64 SR wagon owner in PA.
          Rob
          Thanks, Rob, but not really. I've looked at it carefully and there is no way the license plate or bracket could be mounted any lower than they are. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, (it was early in morning on first reply) now that I think about it my license plate might be bent outward?! I will check when I get home later.

Comment

BP, it seems like it'd be easy enough to "hog out" the holes in the plate to make it sit lower.

Comment

If the bumper jack was ever used....check the bumper. Loosen the frame to bracket bolts, and see if there is slack to lower the whole assembly. Then retighten bolts. BTDT.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Good comments, Brad and Matthew; thanks. I'll check accordingly.

'Prolly will at least hog out the 'plate holes. That had already occurred to me, but thought I'd post anyway.

I see from these responses that it's a chronic problem; the designed clearance is marginal at best, with no tolerance for what might happen to the car down the road. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Bob
                    I just checked my '64 wagon. The license plate bracket has the mounting studs at the top where it bolts to the bumper. If it's upside-down there would be interference as the license plate would be too high. Sorry I can't post pics here (as I'm a real D/A with this stuff). BTW PA. has a "year of manufacture" license plate law now. I just put a '64 tag on the wagon to replace the "classic" tag. The YOM is just like an antique tag-permanent and requires no annual inspection. Good luck with your plate or rather tailgate! Rob in PA.

Comment

I had a number of 65 wagonaires over the years and never had a problem. I would try loosing the bolts on the bumper brackets. I used the car a lot! and never had that problem. Sorry you are.

Mark

Comment

Bob...I'll say what a couple of bozos yelled to me as they passed by when I was sitting on the side of the road with an older Corvette I used to own..."Shoulda bought a Ford!"
                        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

My Wagonaire had the same problem.
                          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Bob, after checking both of my Wagonaires, the license plate bracket has been bent in at the bottom so the plate is outward at the top. The license does angle down a little but not enough to notice.

Comment

Here are a few reference photos from Rob in PA while replacing his old plate with a YOM plate.

Here it is with just the plate mounted.

We discovered with the Studebaker Drivers Club license plate surround, you can put a sheet of paper on top and it is difficult to pull out with the gate down...

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X