Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoeHall
    replied
    I believe you are talking about what is often referred to as the, "batwing" and yes it will need to come out. If you are lucky, your exhaust pipes will allow you to slide it rearward enough for the tranny to drop down, but probably not. If not, you will need to disconnect one or both of the exhausts at the manifold in order to either allow the batwing to slide rearward more, or else slip it out to the side.

Leave a comment:

• Roger L.
    replied
    Thanks for the reply, but on the GT there are two cross members. One is under the bell housing that supports the rear motor mount. Right behind it, about a foot or so, is the cross member that has the wings that support the front door posts. It is bolted under the frame with 4 bolts on each frame rail and one bolt at each outer end that supports the door posts. The right exhaust pipe goes under it and the left exhaust pipe goes over the top of it. Upon examination it doesn't look like there would be enough clearance between the cross member and the transmission tunnel in the floor to allow the transmission to come back far enough to clear the pilot shaft. That is my basic question, even though it may not look like it, is there, in fact, enough room to get the transmission out without removing the cross member.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Since Studebaker Manual Transmissions like Automatics are separate from their Bell Housings and the Engine and Transmission are supported on the crossmember, the only time the crossmember has to be removed is when it is necessary to remove the Clutch Housing.

So if you only need to remove the Trans. just unbolt it and pull it out.

Leave a comment:

• Roger L.
    started a topic Transmission / Overdrive: GT Hawk Transmission Problem

GT Hawk Transmission Problem

I have a question about removing the manual 3 speed transmission from my 62 GT Hawk. Can the transmission be removed without also removing the cross member that supports the door posts. I've had the transmission out of my car many times in the 70's and I can't remember if I had to remove the cross member or not. There is no mention of removing anything in the service manual, so I don't know if that's an oversight in the manual, or if it can be done without removing the cross member. The problem is that the outer bolts to the body are rusted up and the nuts are just about completely rusted away so I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to get them out without causing major damage. I'd appreciate any guidance for this. Thanks.

Roger List
Working...
X