Ignition Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Ignition Switch

Lately I have to wiggle the key to get the ignition switch on the Hawk to turn on. I lubricated it best I could. Any other things to try or do I just need to get a new switch and key? I did have a new key made, but same results.

It's likely that the pins in the tumbler mechanism are worn along with using a worn key to make a copy will cause your problem. You probably need at least a new tumbler assembly to make the switch work properly unless you can find a key in better condition to copy. Bud

Comment

I got a new tumbler and keys from SI in Greenfield. It was my first time there. Thank goodness the gentleman there explained how to remove and replace the tumbler! No more jiggling to start.

Comment

The only issue with that option, is having THREE keys for one Car!
        The correct fix does get a bit expensive, buying the three piece matched set, 2 Doors and one Ign. Lock.
        Or having a Locksmith re-key the Ign. lock to match, should not cost as much.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          The only issue with that option, is having THREE keys for one Car!
          The correct fix does get a bit expensive, buying the three piece matched set, 2 Doors and one Ign. Lock.
          Or having a Locksmith re-key the Ign. lock to match, should not cost as much.
          Wow, I'm glad I read your post. I had already thrown the old keys away, not thinking about the door locks! Nothing like digging thru old coffee grounds to find a couple keys. The three key deal doesn't bother me much since I usually don't lock the doors.

Comment

Another thing you can do is if you are a AAA Member you can have them come out and re-key the car. I did that when I didn't have any ignition keys nor did I have door keys. I'm a premier member so they would re-key the locks up to $360.00 and to re-key an old Studebaker wouldn't be that much. He had to pull the tumbler on the ignition and made a key for it, long story short we tried the door but wasn't successful but once he had finished the Ign key it turned out to be the door key as well. The only thing different is the trunk key. Just passing that a long to you or anyone other that needs help!

Dylan
            I own a 1955 Studebaker President "Speedster", sat garaged for 20 years
            pulled it out in January of 2013, she is now a weekend driver around town.
            "Making many miles, and many smiles a long the way".

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X