frame swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: frame swap

mmagics thread on his frame on, frame off restoration inspired me to post some pictures of my project. Rather than hijacking his thread I thought I'd start a new one. The frame on my car was rusted to the point a replacement was needed. A friend sold me a good rolling chassis out of a '62 GT. Since my body braces and torque boxes were shot and needed replacement I ordered GT parts from Classic, and converted the '54 body to fit the '62 frame.
    While the frame was out from under the car I use a heat gun and scraper to remove the undercoating, and repaired any rusted areas I found. Then I painted it with bedliner before installing the new frame. The first pic is the old frame coming out, then the repaired and painted floor, then the new frame going in. Click image for larger version

Name:	removing old frame 005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1740066Click image for larger version

Name:	floor painted.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1740067Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5478.jpg
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	1740068Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5489.jpg
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	1740069Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5499.jpg
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1740070Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5503.jpg
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1740071
    Last edited by 1954khardtop; 07-27-2013, 03:04 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Excellent work! You are gonna like that GT frame. Its noticeably stronger, on the road, closing the doors, etc..

Comment

Thanks for the pics. Didn't have an answer for re-treat but was considering bed-liner. My shell X clip is out of AZ and very good, but my frame though not severely rust destroyed has had a collision or two. It would have been a good opportunity to replace the frame but knowing what I do now it would not be that big a swap sometime in the future if needed.

Comment

To: 54khardtop,...Interesting photos!....You did a nice job on the underbody once that old frame was out of the way....You'll have a car that's really solid after You're done. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys, hope to have it together this year for a shakedown run, then get the finish bodywork and paint done over the winter.
          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Working...
          X