Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replace a 3spd OD w/a later model 5 spd OD bolt up to Stude 259?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Replace a 3spd OD w/a later model 5 spd OD bolt up to Stude 259?

Am I crazy (don't answer that!). Am considering option of swapping my current 3spd OD tranny for a floor shifter model of Overdrive Tranny if I can find a unit that would bolt in place of the current one??? Anyone have such a setup?? Any experience w/doing it? Current setup is Stude 259 w/3 spd OD in a 49 Stude Pickup. THANKS folks.

There are lots of posts on how to do this conversion, but NO your current Clutch housing MAY not be capable, depending on what Housing the "Modifier" used; a Car, a newer Truck, what?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks.... how do I tell which bell housing I've got in the truck? (Sorry to be so dumb....but there we are)

Comment

Look for a casting number on the flange of the housing. If it has a 4.680" register you can make a S10 Chev. truck to work with a few mods. A larger register and you can re drill it for a Ford, but you have to use one out of a Ranger truck. The car trannys have the shifter too far back and would be under the seat.

Comment

My brother used an S-10 transmission in his truck. The large bellhousing allowed the face to be redrilled for the different transmission. Finding the correct clutch disc without buying a clutch/pressure plate set and adapting the electronic speedometer drive were sticking points that slowed down the conversion, but it works great.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

You see that stiffener that runs across the floor behind the access hole, that is where a Camaro or Mustang shifter would fit. If you put bucket seats in there you could run a car trans.

Comment

I believe you will find that the shifter location on a car trans comes up right at the seat riser. Buckets alone won't solve the issue.

Another view with the cover in place.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

I know someone who has all the bits, bell housing, T-5 and a drive shaft ....drive shaft would need to be shortened, it was to used in an Avanti...if interested he's in central NY
                Bill Foy
                1000 Islands, Ontario
                1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  My brother used an S-10 transmission in his truck. The large bellhousing allowed the face to be redrilled for the different transmission. Finding the correct clutch disc without buying a clutch/pressure plate set and adapting the electronic speedometer drive were sticking points that slowed down the conversion, but it works great.

OK, which clutch disc did your brother wind up using and how did he solve the speedo issue?
                  Looks like it will work great!
                  64 Champ long bed V8
                  55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                  53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Working...
                  X