Hydro-Vac Fittings Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Hydro-Vac Fittings Help!

So I'm in need of some help. I ordered my new Hydro-Vac from SI last week sometime and received it on Wednesday. I'm getting everything ready to install it, I'm removed the fittings off the old one and installed them on the new unit. Here is my issue, the fitting with the 90 degree angle that connects to the flexible brake line, I can't seem to get it threaded on (the 90 degree angle fitting into the new Hydro-Vac) i think the threads are messed up with the new unit. I made sure i started it straight, but it kept getting tighter and tighter so I backed off and when I did it looked like the threads came out with it. Did the threads change from the old to new Hydro-Vacs?

I have an event next Friday and I need to get this repaired, and installed!

Thanks,
    Dylan
    I own a 1955 Studebaker President "Speedster", sat garaged for 20 years
    pulled it out in January of 2013, she is now a weekend driver around town.
    "Making many miles, and many smiles a long the way".

sigpic

That is exactly what happened with mine. I took mine to a machinist and had him carefully retap the threads. In earlier posts I mentioned getting the new copper washers because the fitting I had the problem with leaked a bit ( I had not gotten the washers from SI). When I moved the unit to the trunk I replaced the washers with the correct ones from SI, coated them with Seal All and the leak ended. Seal All is not affected by brake fluid.
    I would call SI before you have the threads retapped and see what they say. If you need me to I will let them know that you are not the only one who has had this problem. You can PM me.

Comment

PM Sent...

sigpic

Comment

I don't know for a fact but it may be the "new" booster has metric fittings instead. I would ask S.I. about that. If that is the case they should put a tag on the boosters they sell to warn that fact. Nobody should sell brake parts with a question to the safety factor. Any vendor would agree. We want to keep customers alive.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Warren,
          My other fitting went in easily using the original banjo bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
            That is exactly what happened with mine. I took mine to a machinist and had him carefully retap the threads. In earlier posts I mentioned getting the new copper washers because the fitting I had the problem with leaked a bit ( I had not gotten the washers from SI). When I moved the unit to the trunk I replaced the washers with the correct ones from SI, coated them with Seal All and the leak ended. Seal All is not affected by brake fluid.
            I would call SI before you have the threads retapped and see what they say. If you need me to I will let them know that you are not the only one who has had this problem. You can PM me.

Thank you for the response! I took the unit to a machine shop here in Bakersfield and as able to re-trace the threads so that the banjo bolt could thread into the fluid inlet port. SI would not compensate for the re-trace, but thankfully the shop that did it the owner did it for free since it wasn't to hard to do, lets just say I was very fortunate. Once I got it home I re-installed the brackets I cleaned them up and painted them along with installing new mounting bolts, once I got the unit installed and the new brake lines attached I got the brakes bled. What a 100% difference in the brakes, I'm so glad everything works great I will be able to make the special event in Bakersfield this coming Friday.

On these new units do you still put one ounce of Neats foot oil into the the back of the unit? Wasn't quite sure.

Thanks again everyone!

Dylan

sigpic

Comment

You are welcome. I'm glad you got it working. I called SI about the Neatsfoot oil and did not add any to mine upon installation. However, I've forgotten what they suggested about adding in the future. LOL

Comment

Working...
              X